Cat Got Your Tongue?

Start from the beginning

Amelie's face was smooth, but her eyes danced with humor.

I wanted to melt into the floor. Instead I flashed Oliver the universal sign for a bird. His eyebrow rose at my unexpected combative response. He sat forward and murmured eagerly, "Oh look, the kitten has claws."

I bristled. If he kept it up, I would show him I had more than claws. In the back of my mind, I knew I was overreacting, but that knowledge did not stop me from growling a low warning.

"Oliver, I wouldn't..." Myrnin tried to steer the conversation in another direction.

Oliver wasn't distracted. He continued, "Pray tell, what exactly wouldn't you do? Because I am fairly certain you have already done everything possible to her," he replied with a wink.

My pupils flashed crimson while my tightly coiled muscles begged to be released. I found myself evaluating him strategically, looking for a weakness. Apparently Myrnin did not notice my increased tension because he just rolled his eyes, ignoring Oliver's comment and turned to speak to Amelie.

Before he could get a word out, Oliver persisted relentlessly, "What, no smart-ass reply? I'd ask if the cat got your tongue, but I think we all know the answer to that." He waggled his eyebrows at me.

That was it!

I determined he had to die now.

I launched my body forward and hissed in surprise when Myrnin captured me in midair, his steel arms wrapped in an unbreakable hold around my waist. He landed lightly and set me on my feet, but didn't let go as he spoke soothingly, "Now Cariad, no one faults you for wanting to kill Oliver. It is a very natural response. But maybe now isn't the best time... He does come in handy...Every once in a while," Myrnin acknowledged reluctantly.

Oliver grinned wickedly, looking suspiciously disappointed that Myrnin stopped my attack.

I growled in frustration and wrestled in Myrnin's grip.

"Oliver, if you do not stop, I will let her go," Myrnin threatened and reminded him pointedly, "Try not to forget that Amelie's power flows through her. She may, very well be much more, than the challenge you are expecting."

I stopped moving and contemplated the truth of Myrnin's words. I had no idea what violent potential currently coursed through me. Oliver was annoying, but I knew he was only playing with me. I was stunned by the realization that I had fully intended to kill him. I wasn't sure how long I would be babysitting Amelie's powers, but clearly I needed to spend more focus on maintaining my cool.

Abruptly, a hard knock at the door interrupted all of us. Amelie spoke with authority, "Enter."

One of her guards approached her, carrying a stylishly wrapped box. There were two cards attached to the top, tucked under the tendrils of a graceful bow. Amelie motioned for him to set the gift on the desk. He complied and gave her a quick bow before exiting.

Oliver's entire countenance had changed. No longer were his eyes lighthearted. Instead, his mouth was set in a thin line as he stared at the apparently offensive gift.

Amelie drew out the cards and handed one to Oliver. I could see that each card was addressed to them in a handwritten elegant script. Releasing the card from its envelope, Amelie opened it and read slowly, "The pleasure of your company is requested at a Gala Affair. Please accept this small gift in appreciation for your attendance, Gwion."

"When?" Myrnin asked tightly.

Oliver's jaw clenched as he answered, "Tomorrow night."

"Wait a minute. Gwion is throwing a party for you tomorrow night?" I repeated, struggling to understand. Amelie did not answer as she lifted the top from the box and pulled out an exquisite black and white evening gown.

"Wow," I breathed. The bodice had expensive French black lace that continued down, clinging to the hips, strategically covering all necessary areas before trailing off into tendrils against a gently flaring white see-through sheer fabric that reached the floor, adorned with intricate matching black embroidered flowers. Even without seeing it on her, I knew it would fit Amelie's hourglass shape like a glove.

Amelie finally answered, "It would appear so."

"Why?" I was completely confused.

"It is a grand gesture...presumably for my affection," she explained.

Oliver growled low.

She placed a reassuring hand on his arm.

That explained Amelie's invitation but I questioned further, "Why then would he invite Oliver as well? Wouldn't that defeat his purpose?"

"Gwion does not view Oliver as a threat or even a hindrance in getting what he wants...Likely because he knows he has control over me," Amelie replied in clear irritation.

"And the dress? It is stunning, but surely he knows you already have formal gowns?"

Myrnin answered for her, "It is tradition for the guest of honor to be given evening wear from the host."

"Are you going to go?" I asked quietly.

Oliver hissed angrily, "No!"

Amelie held his gaze and waited. While no words were exchanged, they were clearly communicating. After a long moment, Oliver hissed again and then reluctantly nodded in resignation.

I looked at Myrnin and whispered, "Is this safe for her?"

A muscle in Myrnin's jaw jumped as he replied, "She cannot avoid him. She just needs an opportunity for him to see that she no longer has her powers. That moment cannot be preplanned, because Gwion would recognize immediately that it was contrived and suspect something was amiss. She will have her guards and Oliver. That will have to be enough."

Oliver and Amelie were speaking quietly to each other. I could have listened, but did not want to hear their private moment. Myrnin must have agreed with me, because without another word, he took my hand and led me toward the portal.

As we stepped into the lab, I felt myself relax, comforted by its familiarity. So I was surprised when I heard Myrnin suddenly hiss behind me. I spun to face the direction of his angry stare, looking for the threat. I could not stop the loud gasp that released from my throat when I saw another elegantly wrapped gift box with two invitations perched on top!

Myrnin was nearly vibrating with fury. While I had no desire to interact with Gwion, from what I could tell it was only a party and I struggled to interpret the severity of Myrnin's response.

And then I understood.

He had explained that it was tradition to give the guest of honor a gift - as in, a singular guest of honor. My voice was unsteady as I asked, "Myrnin, is it normal for the host to provide a gown to more than one guest?"

Myrnin confirmed my apprehension as he answered through clenched teeth, "No, it is not..."