I Am...Willing...If You Want

Start from the beginning

"I think I just need to focus on not failing this semester," I muttered, thinking about the current sad state of my studies.

"You know Amelie will adjust your grades, to compensate for your lost classroom time," he reassured me.

"I know. And I am probably learning more with you during these weeks than I would there. But, it just feels so out of habit for me." I laughed, "It must seem pretty foreign to my teachers as well, because one of them even took the time to track me down on my cell phone, to ask when I would be returning to class."

I thought about that odd phone call from Professor Troy Silver. I had never had a teacher call me before and I suspected his interest might go a little past purely academic. I hoped that by the time I was able to return, things between us would not be weird.

Myrnin stared at me for a moment as though he were going to comment, but then refocused on the microscope in front of him.

The day seemed to slip away from us again without any tangible progress. It was 10pm and I felt the effects of tiredness and frustration. Every day I came to the lab with the expectation that today would be the day we solved it; made everything right...like we had every time in the past. I hated going home on a failure.

Myrnin noticed my sour expression. He crossed the room to look into my eyes. "Cariad, you need to go home. You are exhausted."

I shook my head stubbornly, "I'm not leaving you." I meant it. I had no intention of indulging in a warm bed all night, when people were suffering, waiting for me.

Myrnin saw the determination reflected in my eyes and tried another tactic. "Okay, you don't have to leave, but at least take a nap. You can use my bed."

I considered it. "Okay. But only for an hour," I insisted, as I walked a bit groggily to his bedroom.

Myrnin smiled and said a little too innocently, "Whatever you say."

I didn't bother turning on the light. I just felt my way over to his bed and climbed in. My entire body relaxed as I breathed deeply. It smelled like him - parchment, knowledge and brilliance. I was asleep almost instantly.

...........

I came to awareness slowly. My brain felt a little muddled as I tried to figure out where I was. Then I remembered. The lab. Myrnin's bed. I stretched my sore muscles. I needed to get back to work. Myrnin had been close to finishing another set of formula profiles. They should be done by now. I wandered out of his bedroom and was surprised to find him sitting on the couch with his head leaned back and his eyes closed. I wondered if he was asleep. He slept so rarely and even less over the last two weeks, I didn't want to disturb him.

"No," he murmured.

I quirked my eyebrow, "No?"

"No, I am not asleep" he replied.

I smiled, "Of course not. What time is it anyway?"

He looked down at his watch. "Almost 2am."

"What?! Why didn't you wake me up?" Panic rushed over me. Shane was going to be pissed.

Myrnin leaned his head back and closed his eyes again. He spoke firmly, "Cariad, you have been working too hard. You are not immortal yet. You need your rest."

I stopped and stood there unmoving.

Myrnin felt my tension and looked over to me, thinking back and realizing what he just said. "I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to pressure you," he reassure me quickly.

"No, that's not it," I said softly. And it wasn't. I was feeling shock, but not because of his suggestion. I felt shock because my first response was an impulse wish that I were immortal, so that I could be of more help.