No Life & Death - Only Science

Start from the beginning

I raised my hand slightly, excited that I knew the answer. Before he could acknowledge me, the catty girl sitting behind me whispered derisively to the equally catty girl on her side, "Of course, she knows the answer. Myrnin probably coached her before class."

Instantly, I seemed to capture my new professor's full and complete attention. His eyes changed intensity and he lithely sauntered over to me. I was reminded a bit of those videos in high school biology, of lions attacking pretty-much-defenseless, prey. I squirmed a bit in my seat, struck by his unusual green eyes that felt both revealing and secretive at the same time.

"And you are?" he demanded.

"Um...Claire. Danvers," I sputtered.

"Oh...I see," his expression changed to one of recognition before he continued silkily, "I was informed of your...educational prowess."

The words rolled off of his tongue a bit too familiar for my comfort zone. I frowned. Who had told him about me and who the hell, uses the word, 'prowess', in association with education? The image of the lion eating the defenseless deer played again in my mind.

"And you have extra assistance in this class?" he probed.

"No," I replied in a rush, although wasn't sure why it would matter if I did, as long as I passed. "It's just an afternoon job." I almost giggled at my vastly underwhelming definition of my work with Myrnin. Completely unexpectedly, I had become the apprentice of the craziest vampire in town, two years ago, when I arrived in Morganville and had spent an alarming amount of time with him since. Of course, most of it involved fighting for my life - whether against Myrnin's unstable tendencies or the town's seemingly incessant threats - so no, not really 'just an afternoon job'.

Professor Silver's eyes lost a little focus and he murmured to himself, "Myrnin..." Before I could wonder what that meant, his focus zeroed back in on me once again and he asked, "And you know the answer?"

I blinked. What was the question again? My eyes flickered down to the text book. Oh right, chaos theory. I rattled off the answer as if I were reading it from the book, "It must be topologically mixing, have dense periodic orbits and be sensitive to initial conditions."

He looked at me, his face a complete mask. I wished I knew his tendencies and habits better, so that I could understand the look he was giving me now, but as it was, I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Yes," he spoke matter-of-factly, and spun to face the class again, beginning an elaborate speech exploring the intimate depths of chaos theory. Whatever I had anticipated his teaching style to be, I hadn't expected him to be like this. The concepts flowed out of him with a smoothness and intensity that no other professor had ever taught me.

But I recognized it - it was the same way Myrnin's mind spun and twisted and danced with scientific principles. Myrnin's goal was never just to learn. He was better than that, and loved nothing more than to conquer established scientific principles, proving he was better. I smiled as I thought of my crazy and brilliant boss. He was better for me too. Myrnin understood me in ways that no one else did. I hated the blank stares that people gave me when I tried to explain how I felt about science and math and learning in general. I never had to utter a word of explanation to Myrnin. Somehow he knew that I thirsted for knowledge like it was air to breathe. I knew he felt it the same way I did - as much as any other tangible object - and shared it with me. And through it all, had inexplicably become my best friend.

"The Butterfly Effect-"Professor Silver's voice broke into my reverie. While the rest of the class stared, clearly not following his train of thought, I furiously took notes and soaked up the satisfaction of having a professor at his level. He wove scientific theory and illustrations together effortlessly, perfectly explaining the complex principles. I had always found the butterfly effect fascinating - just to conceive that one tiny minute event at the beginning might change the ending result in vastly astounding ways.

"Tell me Claire, would you imagine your impact to be like that? Could you start a war ten years in the future just based on who you decide to love today?"

I was completely thrown off by the question. That escalated quickly. How had we gone from hurricanes and deterministic nonlinear systems straight to my love life? But it was clear he expected an answer. My breathing increased; I saw him register my response in his eyes and he leaned forward slightly. I felt an almost tangible 'click' in my mind as I transitioned into full science mode again - my most useful defense mechanism for avoiding vampire confrontations - and evaluated the criteria quickly.

"Yes," I murmured quietly.

It fit. As shocking of a scenario as it was, he was right. He smiled at me and nodded his head, before turning to the rest of the confused class. I couldn't help the satisfaction that warmed through me at his academic approval.

"Class, I expect a little more preparedness and communication next time. As such, you will need to read pages 35 to 72 in your textbook-"

I scribbled down the instructions even though I didn't need to; I had already read those pages.

"-and your companion guide," he finished.

I looked up while another student asked the question I was thinking, "Which pages?"

"All of it," he replied.

Oh. Not so easy. That book had close to 200 pages. I wasn't alone in my assessment of the challenge of his assignment. I heard an almost collective groan from the students across the classroom.

Professor Silver smirked at our response and replied as he walked out of the room, "There is no such thing as life or death - only science."

Even though I enjoyed it - as strange as it had been - I was relieved to finish my class with the new professor and made my way to my 'afternoon job.' I snickered again.

The usual bubble of excitement fluttered in my belly as I crossed the threshold of the lab and descended the cement steps. In the back of the lab, past the library of books, I heard a crash, cursing and then silence. I sighed, "Myrnin?"

No response.

"Myrnin," I spoke slower now, my words becoming a demand, rather than a request. "Don't hide from me."

Still nothing.

Damn it!

I breathed in slowly, and pulled the dagger I never left home without, from a sheath on my back hip.

.

Okay - I know this chapter was a little boring, but I needed to lay outsome background. I promise the next chapters gain momentum pretty quickly.