Maybe Just a Small Taste

Start from the beginning

My hands were free, my fingers itching to grab the dagger, but I knew I would only have one chance, so I waited. When his mouth came down to my neck, he let his tongue glide along my carotid artery. Resisting the urge to recoil away from his touch, I moaned with pretend desire instead, hoping he would relax his hold.

I heard his sharp intake of breath at my response and then he chuckled softly against my skin, relaxing his frame. It was enough for me to snatch the dagger and drive it into his back. He hissed angrily as he fell to his knees. I shot across the room, putting as much distance between us as possible.

He reached his hand back to remove the dagger. I knew it would only take seconds for him to free himself. With every nerve in my body, I focused on opening the portal to Myrnin's lab. Immediately, it was glittering, in front of me. Before I could run through it, the vampire jerked out the dagger and launched himself in my direction, to stop me. The force of the impact threw my body against the wall, but not before I let out a blood curdling scream, "MYRNIN!"

As my head hit the wall and snapped back, causing black spots in my vision, I prayed that Myrnin was there. Instantly, Myrnin's massive figure came through the portal, tackling the vampire, all in one smooth motion. Their bodies slammed hard, causing a large fissure crack in the wall.

Time seemed to move in slow motion as my brain cataloged the sights and sounds around me. My eyes stayed transfixed on Myrnin. In the back of my mind, I recognized the sounds of Shane pounding against my locked bedroom door and yelling my name. Eve's voice could be heard over his, screaming at him to get the door open. I wondered briefly why I didn't hear Michael, but then remembered he was currently playing guitar at a gig in the next city.

Suddenly, the struggle in front of me ended. Myrnin stood, growling fiercely, towering over the body of the dead vampire, whose extracted heart lay next to him. Myrnin's pupils were dilated; his dark eyes nearly black with fury. His shoulder-length brown hair was in a state of disarray; his loose curls a haphazard mess. But in this moment, he was the most beautiful thing in the world to me.

"Myrnin," I whimpered softly.

His head snapped toward me. Without actually seeing him move, I found myself cradled against his bare chest. He must not have been wearing a shirt when I screamed for his help. I was thankful he at least had pants on, as that was always iffy, depending on his mood. He whispered soft shushing noises as my adrenaline-filled silence gave way to deep gasping sobs, wrenching out of my chest.

The door finally burst open, the lock breaking under the impact of Shane's repeated kicks. Shane lurched through, daggers clenched in both hands. Eve followed tightly behind him, also armed with a crystal studded dagger, but looking less intimidating with her tear-stained expression of fear.

Myrnin growled deep and loud; a lethal warning for them to stay away from me.

Shane came to an abrupt stop, his eyes wild, taking in the neutralized threat of the dead vampire on the floor. I could tell from his expression that he did not like the death-grip with which I held onto Myrnin, but I couldn't seem to force myself away from the strength and protection that Myrnin's body gave me.

"Call Oliver!" Myrnin commanded.

Shane reached for his phone from his back pocket, his face reluctant to do anything Myrnin instructed, but knowing it was necessary. He glared at Myrnin and retorted, "Number? It's not like I have him on speed dial."

"I do have him on speed dial, but my phone is back at the lab. I didn't exactly take the time to grab it when Claire called for my help," Myrnin spat, stressing the words that he knew would rile up Shane.