space dads and reality

A slam of reality hit Lance at the end of dinner. Everyone was getting up and putting their plates away. The little ones hanging on to Lance's legs and JD and Keith talking quietly together. The dynamic seemed almost perfect. Like it was nataural to them.

Except for when a request for video call on their wristbands popped up in the air, hovering only a few inches above it. Lance's plate smashed to the ground scaring all the kids. The room went silent staring at it.

Lance's hand shook at the thought of leaving his family. Especially since he'd smoothed it over again and had mostly been forgiven. He didn't know the next time he'd see them. If he'd never see them again. He could die or never have the time to return. Saving the universe wasn't exactly the type of job you could take days off.

Well... this is almost like a break. Though it was still tied to improving me and Keith's relationship.

Relationship? That sounded weird in Lances head. Like they were dating. Lance immediately tried to delete the thought. They were supposed to be rivals! He couldn't be thinking about it at the moment.

This was really all too confusing at the moment. Keith pulled Lance outside and answered Pidges call. Pidge looked beyond exhausted and her hair ruffled into a mess.
"Hey guys," she yawned out. "We fixed the castle and we don't want to leave it unattended for too long. We'd like to have you back in maybe two hours?"

"Got it Pidge," Keith took a quick glance at Lance who's skin looked like it might turn green. "We...might need an extra hour though."

Pidge nodded, she understood leaving family sucked. She just wished she knew more about Keith's family. At dinner, the team always reminisced about their families, except Keith. He stayed out of it, never engaging. Sometimes just mildly interested in Lances huge family.

Something about big families must have sparked something in Keith mind to take any interest.

-----

Pidge closed out of the video and sat there wondering what that could be. The possibilities were too many to narrow down to just one.

She spun around in her desk chair, smiling at how earth like it was.

I guess chairs can't be that different in space.

She looked at her monitor, blinding her for a moment. She grimaced,
"Why is this monitor so god damn bright?!"

"Maybe you should turn a light on."

Pidge nearly jumped out of her seat to see a tired but smiling Shiro leaning on the room frame. Shiro laughed at Pidges face. The room was dark, the only light came come Pidges monitor. The hallway was dark, and probably due to the fact that everyone was sleeping. Pidge knew Shiro didn't sleep well, neither did Keith. Keith and Shiro had nightmares. She'd sometimes hear them up at night.

One time she'd overheard a conversation about what Keith dreamt of with Shiro at night. Keith had dreams of everyone in Voltron dying. He said they were the closest things to family he had.

Pidge smiled at that, before totally getting caught listening in by Shiro. Keith didn't know Pidge was listening in and Shiro said to never say anything about it.

Pidge wanted to know what Shiro dreamed of.

"You want to know what I want to dream of?"

Pidge did not realize she said that aloud. She really did need more sleep, huh?

"U-uh well, I hear you walking around at night and Keith training! It's just a thought and I heard that conversation with Keith you had once and I-"

Shiro cut her off, "Hey there, I'll tell you if you sleep."

Pidge blinked. Though there was still so much work to do and sleep took up more than a third of the day! But the curiosity got the better of her. She had no clue what did was about.
"I'll sleep 3 hours."

"No deal Miss Katie Holt. 10 hours and there will be no alarm!"

Pidge gaped, 10 freaking hours, two hours more and it's half the day.

"You're kidding Shirogame Takashi! 5 hours!"

"9 hours," Shiro quickly threw back at Pidge. She gasped and it became rapid fire.

"6 hours!"

"No 9 hours!"

"No way, 6 and a half?"

"8 hours, final deal!

"How about 7 hours no alarm?" Pidge asked desperately.

"Deal," Shiro said, cracking a smile.

"Okay well tell me then," Pidge asked.

Shiro shook his head and instead picked her up from her computer and walked her to her room.

"Hey, we had a deal, Shiro!"

"I know I know, I'll tell you once we get away from the screens."

"You are such a dad."

Pidge settled in and so did Shiro. Pidge felt the mood change as she looked to Shiro.

"I dream of the Galra prison." Shiro started, already seeming like he was having trouble breathing. "The tapping and echo of my cell. The rioting at nights. They'd shout for hours. Screaming for food because they were starving. I dream of Matt rocking back and forth in the cell sitting next to me. He hated them so much. Everyone. The wails of children we heard but never saw. He hated everything there, so did I."

Pidge was silent, staring straight down.

"I-i," Pidge coughed and looked up, revealing a tear rolling down her cheek. "I was stupid to think I didn't know what you dreamt about. It should have been obvious. I think I knew it but didn't want to think about it."

Shiro reached over with his robotic arm to wipe Pidge's tear away. She flinched when the metal against touched her face. It was cool against her face. She smiled at Shiro.

It was full of sadness and Shiro hated to look at it.

---

"Keith?"

"What Lance?"

"Do... you have a family to visit? I've been kinda selfish. We should go see your family."

"Yea...."