When I Was Here Last • 4 • 5/13/17

CHAPTER FOUR
CORY'S POV
- - - - -
A/N: Sincerest apologies for not updating sooner!
- - - - -
   "I don't believe you!" I state, crossing my arms.

   "Cory?" Y/N squeaks, shuffling up to me. "They're telling the truth, I just know it!" This shocked me. She was taking their side? To be fair, a small part of me believes it too.

   "Cory, you need to trust me! She's trapped all the monsters, and soon, she'll be coming for you and your friend!" Flowey pleads.

   "No! Tori wouldn't do that! She's just . . . A bit eccentric, that's all." I explain to him. Y/N shook her head.

   "That's what she is to us." She mumbles.

   "I bet you hurt her, just like Flowey hurt me!" I blamed them.

   "Us? Come after Toriel?" The scratchy-voiced monster scoffs.

   "Y/N! Cory! Come with me, I can show you Toriel isn't who she appears to be!" Flowey tells us, begging once again.

   "You're probably just going to shoot me again!" I argue.

   "Cory! Stop being so stubborn!" Y/N cries. I turn to face her.

   "Shut up Y/N, I'm trying to defend her, you blind idiot!" I scold her.

   "Well then, get used to your new accommodations, because you'll be here sooner than you think." The scratchy-voiced monster laughs.

   "It's just down the hall." Flowey informs us. Y/N was quiet, and avoided my hand as I tried to link mine with hers.

   "Fine, but you're gonna stay in front of us the entire time, okay?" I demand. My best friend moves up ahead of me.

   "Hey! Lemme outta here!" A monster yells angrily.

   "Hey listen, if what you all say is true, I promise I'll come back for you all." I swear to the monsters. N/N gives me a small smile, knowing I didn't mean it. The insult, not the promise, like obvi. She feels my gaze on her and nods. We could never stay mad at each other for that long. It had only been like twenty seconds too.

   "To paraphrase, we should we trust you, a human, that you'll come back for such loathsome monsters as we?" The deep-voiced monster asks, suspicious of our behavior.

~{2ND POV}~

   "Because we promise." You speak up. "We'll come back and set you free as soon as we're able to, I swear." The scratchy-voiced monster—you wished you could get their names, but apparently that's not an option—cackles at the two of you.

"Human promises. Wow. That about as useful as this invisible key I have." He scoffs, sarcasm dripping and oozing from his sentence like blood from a wound, or tears from an eye.

"C'mon, this won't take long." Your plant guide urges.

"If you do so much as a petal out of place," Cory sighs, interlocking his fingers with yours once again, "Let's just go." The three of you left the room of cells, AKA: Toriel's Breakfast & Bed, and went down yet another dark and creepy hallway. It seemed normal to you though, just a little more ominous and silent.

"It should be just down here." Flowey assures you two, not that it would help you in particular. You took a couple breaths and measured where the walls were with the air currents, not to mention your free hand. Suddenly, you smelled a familiar, scent: Tori. Goat Mom.

"Whatever you do, don't make a sound." Flowey didn't need to tell either of you twice, it was kind of useless when you were already too shocked with fear to speak.

"You can't! You can't take them from me!" She was talking about you and Cory! And it sounded like she was . . . sobbing.

"I've been alone for so long, and I'm so hungry!" The keeper of the RUINS cries.

"You can keep a hold of them for now, but if my brother ever captures them, all of our plans will be for not." A deep menacing voice growls at the monster woman. This wasn't like the deep-voiced-monster-being-kept-prisoner deep. No, this was dark, frightening, and . . . kind of hot, actually.

"But I just feel so empty!" She argues, letting out whimpers of sadness.

"Pull yourself together, Toriel!" The mysterious male voice demands her. Cory noticed that she was facing a door, and theorized that the man she was plotting with was outside. That meant that he just spotted their exit. Or so he thought. He whispered this to you, who simply nodded, intrigued with the conversation your host was currently having.

"You have the others!" The mystery man was referring to the captives. "Sustain yourself off them for now, but don't kill the human. Not yet."

"Yes, yes. Of course! Of course." She cheers, filling up with relief.

"You-y-you're right. Toriel is a-" You and your best friend say it in sync, standing side-by-side, "-monster."

"The WEED!" Toriel suddenly yells. "He escaped!" You hear loud footsteps coming at your direction, and realize the goat woman was charging towards you.

"KILL THE WEED!" Mr. Mystery shouts at her through the door. "KILL THE WEED!"

"RUN!" Flowey orders. You frowned as you sprinted for your life, but for a different reason than one might think. You quickly grew upset as to the living flower's nickname that Tori and mystery-boy called him. But now was not the time for that! "She's locked the front door, but I know another way out!"

Your treo had run up the flight of stairs and down a hall, and Cory was growing worried about getting out alive.

   "Quick, in here!" The overgrown buttercup guides you into your room, opening a chest, and allowing golden sparkles to fire out of it (a feat you wished you could've seen). Toriel was busting into some other rooms, desperately trying to find you three.

   "NOO!!" She growls loudly, breaking down the door, only to be too late. You, Cory, and Flowey had already jumped in.
- - - - -

   You sniffed the air, and felt around with your shoes. Snow. Lots of it. And a forest, you were in a very cold, snowing forest area.

   "Toriel?" You inquire. You wanted to make sure you and they would be safe from her.

   "She won't be able to reach us now." Flowey assures the two of you, although you felt he was trying to assure himself too.

   "What about the other monsters? We promised them!" Camera-Face points out.

   "There's no helping them. All that matters is keeping you two safe." The flower states.

   "This is all so weird." You mumble, holding your head in your free hand. Your left was re-linking itself with Cory's right hand.

   "Y-you said that in this world it's kill or be killed. So, why are you helping us?" He asks the overgrown buttercup.

   "Yes, I know. I shouldn't have shot you after you fell down. Though . . . maybe, maybe there is another way! I can help you two, just let me. I-I can help you get back to where you belong!" Flowey announces, smiling so bright you could feel it. You returned it, saying this:

   "Okay then, where do we start?" And your flower friend simply told you:

   "Follow me." So, that's exactly what you did. Or rather, what Cory did, and continued to drag you with him.