Chapter Thirty-Five

There the two of them sat. Meredith and Richard. A bottle of wine and their dinner's distracting them actually talking to one another. She sipped her third glass of red wine while he chewed his lasagna, rather loudly. Meredith hated when he did that, chewing with his mouth open, it was utterly disgusting. 

"You going to eat, babe?" Meredith cringed hearing that come from his mouth, Luke being the only one she wanted to her that, amongst other things. 

"Nah, I lost my appetite" she commented. She felt her phone vibrate in her light blue dress pocket. She picked out her silver phone and saw she had a new text from Luke. 

How's it going, princess?

She smiled brightly at the nickname, a little giggle leaving her lips. Richard noticed that she was more interested in her phone than him and frowned. He reached over and placed his hand over hers, she jumped at the contact, her eyes as wide as a deer in headlights. She accidentally hit her tan leg on the table, causing her to mumble profanities. "Baby, you okay?" Cringe. "Yeah, yeah, " she dismissed and drew her hand away from his, but he caught it again and interlocked their fingers this time.

"So how have you been, Mer? It's been a whole month since I've seen you, I've missed you" Richard cooed and Meredith almost threw up in her mouth. She felt horrible, shitty in fact, for doing this to him, but she needed to spit it out before she chickened out.

"Richie, babe" Another Cringe, "We need to talk".

"I know we do-"

"No, let me finish, don't say anything, okay?" she mumbled and he nodded. Meredith took a deep breath before speaking again, "Look, you are a great guy, mostly, but I'm in love with Luke. I always have been. I tried so hard to love you Richard, and for a time I actually believed that you were the one for me, but you're not. You're too controlling, I don't feel like I'm my own person, more like a dog. Luke, he makes me feel complete. I truly am sorry Richard, I hope that you find-" Meredith didn't even get to finish her sentence before she felt a sting on her face. He had slapped her. HE SLAPPED HER. His green eyes filled with fury and he glared at her. The entire restaurant had fallen silent, all eyes on them. Some were worried for her safety, others were recording.

"How fucking dare you dump me and then go on about how in love you are with him. Do you not remember how he just dumped you? Left you the dust, and for me to pick you up and make you new again. A whole fucking year, Meredith. A whole year I treated you like a princess, and this is what you do to thank me?" Richard was off the charts with anger. His normally pale face was a bright red, and if you were there you could say that steam was coming out his wide ears.

"You-you" Meredith couldn't form any words. She held her face, feeling tears form in her brown eyes. She took a deep breath and walked upright to Richard and punched him right in the face. She cursed under breath because of her beautiful, but fake nails hurting afterward. "How dare you fucking lay your hands on me?!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. Two men had to hold Richard back and he jumped forward about to hit her again.

"Go to hell!" He yelled as the two men dragged him away, him still trying to break free. His expensive tan suit getting unraveled as he struggled. His long brown hair was swinging all over the place. Needless to say, he looked possessed. Meredith just watched them drag him away. Her teary brown eyes landed on a velvet box on the floor. She frowned at it. It must have had fallen out of his pocket.

He was going to propose.

But Meredith didn't give a fuck.

"Show's over folks. Go back to your overpriced food, " she yelled and everyone did as told, not before talking amongst themselves about what had just happened. She could feel the judgment radiating off the overdressed people around her. She sighed and sat back down n her seat. She felt her phone vibrating in her pocket and took it out to see Luke's name flashing on the screen.

"Hello?" she responded, her voice cracked. She was on the verge of breaking down, but Luke didn't need to know that. But, he's known her for over seven years, and he knew that she was upset.

"Baby? What's wrong?" he whispered into the phone, 'What happened with Richard?".

"I-he" she couldn't take it, she broke down into tears. She sobbed, her mascara running down her tan skin and her plump lips shaking. She ran out the restaurant and sat down on a bench outside, she was breathing really fast and tears were just constantly falling down her face.

"Baby, baby just breath. We don't have to talk about it now. I'm coming to pick you up, I'm two blocks away. Just relax, babe"

She hummed in response and he sighed into the phone. "I'm going to kill him," he said before whispering an 'I love you' to her before hanging up.