Chapter Twenty-Six

"Mer, I can't contain my excitement," Julie screamed through the phone. Meredith brought the phone away from her ear, a wide smile on her face.

"Clearly. But, I'm so happy for you Jules. I can't believe you and Michael are finally getting married."

"I know right, took him long enough. If me getting knocked up wasn't enough, I didn't know what would be." Julie joked and Meredith laughed loudly which caused her sister to smile.

"It's good hearing your laugh again Mer. I can't wait to see you. When does your flight get off?"

"Around 8. I'll be over to your house by ten." Meredith replied as she handed her passport to the lady at the front desk, holding her phone between her shoulder and her ear.

"Good, see you soon sis, kisses." Meredith smiled and hung up. She sighed and pulled her jacket closer to her. She was extremely hot, but she knew once she landed back home it would be freezing cold.

She couldn't believe she was finally going home. It had been a year of endless hard work for her just to get her bachelor's degree, and Richard is just nagging her non-stop. She wished so badly that she could just leave him, but she knew couldn't. She knew he wouldn't let go of her so easily, besides, she had spent so much time building a life in California, she can't just leave it behind.

Her mind ran on Grace, and how her friend had clung to her before she left for the airport. She had to admit that she would miss her best friend. She was going to be here for two months, and she knew a lot could happen in two months. She knew she wasn't going to miss Richard. Why would she miss the man that fixed her life and fucked it up at the same time?

She took a deep breath and she took her seat and looked out the window. She watched as she descended into the air the buildings of L.A becoming only lights as she went further up. The scenery was just beautiful. The millions of lights that shunned for the ground, that was almost as bright as the stars. The midnight sky covering the earth, the moon being the giant spotlight in the sky.

Meredith closed her eyes, knowing when she opened them, she would be home. And that fact warmed her heart more than the coffee they gave her.

*

"I'm freaking out! " Luke said, who was pacing back and forth while Julie rolled her eyes and rubbed her stomach as she sat on her couch, while Michael did her toenails.

" Would you shut it, you're disturbing Lizzy's sleep." Julie complained. Michael chuckled to himself as he painted her toes.

"Jules, Meredith is coming home. MEREDITH!" Luke said, stopping his pacing and putting emphasis into his words.

"Oh my bad, I thought it was the Queen," Michael mumbled, making Julie laugh this time.

Luke glared at him, then ignored his comment, "What am I going to say to her? Hey? Hi?" he continued.

"Well, what did you say to her the last time? " Calum questions as he walked into the room.

" I don't remember, fuck."

"Hey! No cursing around the baby?! " Julie scolded while Luke rolled his eyes this time.

"Why are you so nervous, though?" Janet said this time once she came out the kitchen and right into Calum's arms.

"Why am I nervous? Maybe because I'm about to see my ex-girlfriend who hasn't talked to me in a year and has a new boyfriend who's the guy she almost fucking married? " Luke rambled.

" Oh Luke, if you didn't let her go in the first place, this wouldn't be happening right now," Julie said.

"Oh, so it's my fault now?"

"Pretty much," Janet agreed.

Luke grunted and fell back on the couch, causing Michael to mess up Julie's toes.

"For fuck's sake, Luke," Julie yelled.

"Hey, no cursing around the baby," Luke mocked and Julie death glared him.

"Babe, relax. " Michael mumbled to her.

" I'm going to kill him," Julie muttered.

"Hey guys, where's Sasha and Ashton?" Calum said as he looked around the room. They all decided to meet at Calum's and Janet's house to have a welcome home party for Meredith.

"Oh, I know where they are," Julie said as she wiggled her eyebrows and caused everyone else to scoff in disgust.

"I thought Sasha was engaged to Cyrus? " Luke asked.

" They broke up. He cheated," Julie said bluntly.

"And I whooped his ass," Calum said proudly.

"And I helped," Janet smirked.

"But damn, she moves on quickly," Michael says.

"I think they have always loved each other. I mean he was heartbroken when they broke up the first time," Luke stated and everyone else nodded in agreement.

A few minutes later a knock on their door brought them out of the conversation they were having together. Calum got up and went to open the door.

"BIG SIS YOU'RE HOME!" Calum shouted from the doorway, causing Luke to jump to his feet. He fixed his hair, straightened his clothes and licked his lips. When his eyes landed on her, his mouth widened.

She had dyed her hair a new dirty blonde and had gotten extensions, so her hair was as long as it used to be. It stopped right in the middle of her back in long waves. Her brown eyes sparkled as she hugged her little brother tightly. The pink dress she wore slowly traveling up her legs and revealing her tan skin. A bright smile was on her red lips as she snuggled into her brother. However, the smile surely fell when her eyes laid on Luke.

Her eyes locked with his, and it was if they would burst if one of them let go. She studied his face to see that he wasn't mad. He was happy, he was happy to see her, and it was evident by the giant smile on his soft face. The beard he had once had was long gone and he looked like he did when he was Seventeen.

"Hello, Luke," Meredith smiled at him.

Luke had to admit that his heart fluttered at the smile on her face. He was so nervous he could barely utter a word so all he managed to do was pull her into a hug.

She was surprised, but after a while, she hugged back, tightly. The two just stood there for a while, engulfed in a hug while their friends smiled in the background.

"I wonder when they are going to realize we are standing right here? " Michael said lowly to Calum.

" Probably when you are standing at the alter," he replied and the two boys chuckled.