Chapter One-Ninety-Seven - Kits!

April 24, 2017

     This past weekend, April 22, 2017, while I was following a tractor that my family was using to plant small trees, I heard a rustling in the brush behind me... and these two showed up! I saw the dark one, who I named Shadowwhisker shortly after I was able to get them to get close enough to me to pick them up, was the one I saw first. The brown one, I named her Bravestripe, was the more social, brave, or stupidly curious one, was the one who trusted me before her sister (we're pretty sure they're both female, but it's debatable). They stayed nearby, and I just wanted to keep them from getting under the giant tractor tires (which, later in the day, Bravestripe decided to do but was miraculously unharmed). We decided to let them be outside that night, hoping their mother would come for them, as they can't hunt but are weaned off of their mother's milk. They stayed nearby all night, and to be honest I was worried they'd freeze (as it was close to 32°F that night) or be eaten, my mother the same. But they were there, and it was almost a relief to hear them call for us. Oh, and did I mention that when I caught them and moved them, it was with cat mews and trills at different tones, and I swear they thought I was their mother now? They followed me, and soon followed anyone moving. We brought them home (a 2.5 hour car ride) in a five-gallon bucket with a towel in the bottom, no lid (obviously). My two dogs like them, my six-year-old cat mot so much. They stay on the deck at our actual house, and they play/sleep in a cage at night time that is quite spacious for such little kits. And I think we're keeping them, now. The original plan was to hope their mother showed (which, the reason she didn't we believe is because they might have jumped into the truck of the farmer who farms some land of ours, when he stopped to talk about what crops to grow, the kits jumped out and wandered over to us), the second was to hope a shelter was close enough or PetSmart to be able to take them, and the third was to see if we could find anyone local to our main place of living. We've had them a few days, and they are just so cute, so that's the probable verdict.

Also, the names didn't stick well with my family χD My friend (having read Warriors) gets the names, but other than just Shadow, that's all that's sticking. I'll always call them Bravestripe and Shadowwhisker.

One more thing, we think they are about five weeks old.