Chapter Sixty-Seven ✎ - Jinxed

The black cat walked along the street, everyone avoiding her, even fellow felines. Most days, she could hear songs from the human's devices, get attention from the children, chat with cats, and mess with the hounds, but not today. Oh, no. Today, she had a collar, one that she had never seen nor worn before. The collar was shamrock themed, with a little horseshoe pendant on it. It symbolized luck.
    "Why did they put this on me? Now the myth will be true," the black cat hissed. She couldn't even find her friend, so she kept looking. What else was she to do?
    "Now I know what everyone means," came a voice from behind the black cat. "Jinx, if I weren't your friend, I'd avoid you like the vet."
    Jinx turned, and standing behind her was her friend. "Silver! Good, you aren't avoiding me." She once again scratched at the collar. "This collar is why. Stupid thing is bad luck; it's cursed."
"You sure it's not you, Jinx?" called a cat, sneering from a good distance away.
Jinx faced him, claws unsheathed and ears flattened in hostility, and replied, "Why don't you say that to my face, furball?"
The cat watched Jinx and Silver, who took up 'arms' next to her, and left. Silver shook his head as Jinx stared after the cat. "So all we have to do is get the collar off you," he said.
"If it were that easy, I wouldn't be in this situation right now, Silver." She sighed, then stared pacing. "The stupid human! Why did they even do that? There's no information on this blasted thing." Jinx started scratching at the collar.
"Hm," the silver cat thought a moment. "Maybe you can't get it off by yourself, but maybe I can pull it off you."
Jinx stopped scratching and shrugged. "Worth a shot. This blasted thing keeps that black cat myth alive as long as it's on my neck." She held out her chin so Silver could get a good grip on the collar.
"Brace yourself, Jinx." Silver got a grip and started pulling the collar, while Jinx pulled the other way. She coughed at the tugging, but she wanted the collar off, and she could feel it slipping.
"Just...a little...more..." she got out, right before the collar came loose. Silver and Jinx stumbled a few feet back from the other, and Silver dropped the collar immediately. "Thank you, Silver. I never would have lived another day with that on. It was killing me. Now I'm free of the myth."
Silver nodded. "Jinx, you are one lucky cat."

August 5, 2016
Short story is short. I don't even know why I wrote this; I got the idea a few days ago that a once-lucky black cat would get a cursed collar, referencing the black cat myth I'm sure you all know. I guess you could say that the myth is represented at the collar, and when Jinx gets it off, it represents the myth dying, but I just wrote what I wrote. I didn't think of that while I wrote, I just noticed. So...yeah.