Chapter Sixteen

Knott

"You should have asked me before you invited them, Fang." 

Knott didn't know if he was ready for another encounter with Arthit.  He was taken by complete surprise when he saw Arthit standing behind him.  His heart beating faster the entire time Arthit sat next to him.  Knott expected to never run into Arthit ever again.

Prem told him Arthit was married to Kongpob.  He was happy Arthit was with the love of his life.  That had been the goal, right?  For Arthit to be with the one, he loved without any confusion.

Arthit didn't look like the Arthit he remembered.  He had lost a lot of weight.  The cute puffy cheeks that turned red were no more.  His smile still had that dimple, but it didn't reach his eyes.  Maybe Arthit finally grew out of his childlike demeanor.  Knott couldn't get Arthit's image out of his head.

"He is my friend too Knott, and hasn't it been long enough?  Stop acting like children.  The rest of your friends are suffering because of this madness," said Fang.

She walked up to Knott and took his hand.

"It's just dinner... it's going to be alright."

Alright?  Arthit, Kongpob and him in one room?  After eight years?  Knott knew it wasn't going to be alright. 

********************

Arthit

"Hello, Kong?  Where are you?  It's 8 p.m. already, we can't keep them waiting!" Arthit was irritated.  Fang had called him to ask if they were going to make it.

"P' Arthit... I'm still at the office.  You go ahead without me.  Text me the address, I will try to come directly."

"Why didn't you say so earli..." he was cut short by the beeping tone.  Kongpob had hung up.

Knott and Fang were going to think that he had an awful married life at this rate.

Technically he did, but he didn't want the world to know that!  Kongpob worked hard to get his company to the place it is now.  He was young and had to deal with a lot of competition.  At this age, Kongpob managed to buy a huge house and vehicles.  Arthit was proud of Kongpob.  He always went above and beyond to get something.  But it had cost them the time they could spend together.  Arthit didn't like to whine like a desperate wife.  He was lonely.  He hardly saw his friends.  It was work and home.

********************

The dinner at Knott's place was pleasant.  Even for Arthit, their house felt so homely.  He played with Theia.  Fang was right, she did like him a lot.  She didn't leave his arms from the moment she went to him.   Knott didn't speak much.  Fang mediated the conversation.  Knott looked at him suspiciously when he had told them Kongpob might not make it for dinner.

"So, how did the two of you meet?" Arthit asked Fang.

"Knott joined the company I was working at after he came back from Hong Kong."

Hong Kong?  He was overseas?

Knott was more interested in his food.  Arthit knew Knott didn't welcome him.  It stung more than it should have after all these years.

"I have to put Theia to bed Arthit.  You boys better fix whatever it is that is going on," Fang suddenly said after dinner.

"We are not seven Fang," Knott replied glumly.