01

CHAPTER ONE

NIGHT shifts at the ice skating rink had never been a problem for yoo kihyun.

it was currently eleven-twenty-six on a friday night, and the dark haired male had just finished sorting out the ice skates in their correct size slots. the amount of times the other employees would accidentally put the bladed boots back into the wrong place, annoyed him to no end, but that was the only issue kihyun would face during the late shifts.

well, there was one problem, but that occurred almost three months ago.

kihyun was listening to the radio, singing along to the song, even swaying his hips a little. then suddenly, a girl holding a shorter boy's hand, caught him in mid-dab, and he swore he could've buried himself alive right then and there because of how embarrassed he was.

the girl seemed to have enjoyed that scenario way too much because she couldn't control her laughter. the boy, on the other hand, seemed confused; like he couldn't figure out for the life of him why the girl was snorting and wheezing. he stayed frozen in place, hand still clutching hers, staring at the ground. the girl abruptly stopped, and whispered something to the boy, before explaining to kihyun that she would be at the rink at night to get in more practice.

which, unfortunately, were during kihyun's late shifts, so he had to go through the awful memory each time he made eye contact with her.

strangely enough, kihyun and the girl, nayoung, became friends within the first few weeks of her showing up to practice. she usually brought the other boy along with her, which kihyun learnt that they were cousins.

changkyun, was his name, and he was strange. the boy never seemed to look at kihyun's eyes, let alone, actually look at him.

the problem was that it shouldn't bother kihyun, he shouldn't care because the other was just some boy who occasionally skated at the rink, but there was something inside of kihyun that just wished changkyun would look at him. notice him. whenever he'd see the boy smile, it stirred up a bubbling feeling in his chest. he could probably watch him smile forever- in a totally non-creepy way, of course.

he had seen him skate a few times whilst cleaning the seats around the skating rink, and each time, changkyun was either always holding nayoung's hand or the wall, trying to balance himself.

it was cute, honestly, and kihyun would grin to himself at how happy the other boy seemed.

currently, kihyun was reading a book, the radio on a low volume. he was expecting nayoung to show up any minute, he also kind of hoped changkyun would be with her, as well. the navy-blue haired boy rarely missed a chance to see his cousin skate. whenever they'd show up together, nayoung would smile brightly and wave - throwing in a dab to tease kihyun - and changkyun would mumble a shy hello, the curves of his lips twisted up, and it looked beautiful.

his smile made his features look softer, more innocent, and it made kihyun's heart turn to fizzy drink.

he just couldn't get over the fact that changkyun wouldn't look at him. but maybe he was extremely shy towards people, and eye contact would be too much. kihyun didn't know, and frankly, he was scared to ask, just incase he might offend the other.

hearing feet walking over the carpeted area, towards kihyun, brought the boy back down from his thoughts. he looked up, expecting to see two figures.

but unfortunately, there was just one. the girl made her way over to the counter he was sitting at.

they talked for a minute, and nayoung mentioned a competition coming up in five weeks, eyes basically sparkling while talking, and she asked kihyun to go to support her. he wasn't too keen at first, but then she said changkyun would also be there, which caused him to agree to it quicker than anticipated. the girl chuckled, giving a knowingly smirk as she began to leave for practice.

kihyun picked the book back up, half-focusing on the words. he realized he may have another problem working at the ice skating rink.

he had a pathetic crush on a boy he barely knew.