“I wanted Panem to see you not only for your beauty this time,” she said, helping me into the dress and fluffing my hair from where it got stuck from behind. I realized that there were no gold or blue pieces in my hair. “I want them to see what they should have from the start, which is a strong, brave beautiful girl that was a product of District 4 and not the Capitol.”

These words seemed to be the only ones that awakened me. “I’m not the same girl from the reaping anymore, Alta.”

“I know,” she said melancholically, “and that’s the only way Slate will live on.”

His name brought tears to my eyes, but Alta said the right words before I could ruin my make up. “Be happy that what everyone else thought was an act, was actually real. Very few people in this world could find what you have found with Slate these past few weeks. Let him live on in you.”

I had my first appearance as the victor right after. It was customary for the whole team to show up one by one from under the stage. The prep team went first, and then Lolly, followed by Alta and then both my mentors. I kept myself together as the metal plate slowly ascended, revealing me for the first time since I won.

The anthem is loud in my ears, but the only thing that could compete with this noise was the loud cheer from the audience.

Paisley, Scarlett and Circa all hopped into the spotlight as they were introduced. They gave tiny bows and let Lolly take her bow. It had been a few years since she had this moment of recognition. Alta received booming cheers as she appeared, looking composed as usual, with her high bun and pristine white outfit. Aldo and Mari stepped in, and smiled at the audience, who probably knew them very well from their last Games. I could hear Aldo’s name clearly from among the audience. This finally proved that we were indeed, a family of victors.

And then it was my turn. When I had the lights on my face, with my face the only thing on the screen, it took a while for Caesar Flickerman to have them quiet down. It took them a good five minutes before they let him speak.

I sat quietly on the victor’s chair, and waited for the replay of events. It would surely hurt, but I didn’t have any other choice. My only hope was that I wouldn’t break down in front of all these people.

These were the last three hours. Everyone would be watching me, waiting for my reaction after knowing that I just lost a boy that I loved.

The Games have only lasted for about a week and a half. They could easily squeeze in what story they had prepared in three hours. Of course, I knew what they had for me, and it was going to take everything in me to keep the cool smile on my face. There would be a camera locked onto my face the whole time, just to see my reaction while replaying the scenes from the Games.

It showed me as the perfect tribute. I had three tributes’ death on my hands the first day, and was the reason why most of my allies survived the next few. They showed the parts where Slate and I were getting cozy, and then suddenly, we broke apart because something had happened.

I clenched my fists as I saw my old allies, fighting and dying. I finally saw how I lost consciousness, and I saw what Slate had explained to me in our shelter. He hadn’t explained in extent just how much he protected me. After he killed the tribute from District 10, he was immediately by my side, shaking me awake. He took my pulse to see if I was alive. I saw what sliced through his face. He gained that injury because he had his back to me and extended his arms, as if he could play a human shield.

Lark and Taffeta came into view, both murderously entering the fight. It’s what they had been trained to do. They weren’t taught to run away in a fight, and they both knew that they had a chance to injure, if not kill. The sickly Lark that had seemed to frail, turned into someone who used two machetes like extended limbs.

I had to look away for a few seconds. I didn’t want to see their deaths any more than I wanted to see the others. I didn’t want to go back into that arena or relive it through these videos. When I looked back, I saw that Slate and I were in the shelter, kissing. I couldn’t help it now. I felt the tears start pooling in my eyes, but I stopped before they fell down my cheeks.

They showed the rest of my kills, and my anger at Xavier’s death. The battle with Boone on the cliff seemed to be the longest clip, because I knew what was going to happen after.

The last scene. I felt like I was stuck in that second, looking at Slate before he was broken. I remembered the things that ran through my mind, and I never thought that it would end up that way. “I love you,” the words repeated on screen, and I feel haunted by his voice that seems to give a silent hush over the whole stadium.

He fell in, and they must have slowed down the pace, because my dive for him looks so clean and beautiful, it was heartbreaking.

The anthem played out and President Snow rose as he went over to me and placed the crown on my head.

Caesar reminded everyone that there would be the final interview tomorrow, and I waved at the audience and smiled.

At the Victory Banquet, I plastered a fake smile on my face the entire time. The Capitol officials all wanted a picture with me, and I finally met the sponsors who generously kept me alive. I thanked them and smiled for their photos.

By the end of it, the sun was almost rising and I had to fall asleep before I cried myself to sleep.

The 45th Hunger Games: The Tribute of District 4 (Watty Awards 2012 completed)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें