Chapter 4

A/N-Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it! It's entered for the Watty Awards, so it would be greatly appreciated.

~

Food wasn’t very appetizing the next morning, considering we were talking about actual killing this time. Aldo seemed to have gained his voice again, and he was interacting with the rest of us today.

“I know very well what my sister can do,” Aldo said, looking at Xavier, “but you have to tell me what you’re skilled at, unless you want to keep your abilities secret from my sister. It would be quicker to train you both at the same time though, and you can get information from questions that you might not think of yourself.”

Xavier shrugged. “We do the same drills in training. I don’t think it will matter if she knows what I’m good or not good at.”

“Very well,” Mari said, glancing at Lolly, who seemed to have difficulty containing her excitement. “What are you good at?”

“I’m stronger than I look. I can toss weight balls that are 200lbs. I don’t even need both hands for it. I’m pretty good with swords and spears. Tridents are a given.”

“What about knives, any good at throwing knives? What about bow and arrows?” Aldo said, directing his full attention at Xavier.

They both seemed to think that I didn’t need any more help, since I already knew so much. That didn’t make me feel any better though. It only made me feel overestimated.

Xavier said, “Not particularly. I haven’t reached that point in training yet. I was only starting out, and you know how they try to cram different weapons during the week before reaping. With a bow, I have no idea.”

“You’ll have to try, when we get to the Training Center at the Capitol,” Mari said. She now turned my attention to me. “You’re pretty comfortable with almost any weapon, aren’t you, Serena?”

I shrugged. “It would be better for the both of us to have a trident in there. I can handle almost any weapon, I guess, except for maces though. I haven’t tried one of those yet.”

“What of survival skills have you any?” Aldo continued, still looking at Xavier.

“I can weave all right, but not as good as everyone else is. I know how to fish, make hooks, and I know what plants are poisonous, but only if they live in an environment like the one in District 4.”

Our mentors nodded and looked at each other, like they were having a conversation that only the two of them could understand.

“We’re almost near the Capitol!” Lolly said in delight, looking out the windows.

Mari spoke before Lolly could say anything else. “When we get there, you will be rushed to stylists immediately. They will prepare you for the parade, and you will get to the Training Center only after the parade is over. Do what your stylists want and don’t protest. It will be less trouble for all of us.”

 After passing by a tunnel, we finally arrive the train station.

I could hardly believe my eyes.

People had painted faces and the most colorful outfits. It made the clothes in my dresser look like rags in comparison. They were cheering from outside the train windows, and waving at us.

Everything around was made of steel and ran on electricity. It was like everything in this place had a shiny quality to it.

Everything was a perfect picture of what excess looked like.