Chapter 72 - Abuela

Start from the beginning

Why couldn't they pick another picture of Iris? She's going to be upset when she see's this picture. I haven't seen her in the past eleven days. Marshall told her that I had a few meetings to attend which she didn't question. 

"Yep. Oh and by the way, you have an interview to do live on radio." Lilly says, making me groan as I tilt my head back in the air. 

"Interview about what?" I sigh as Marshall takes the magazine and flips it open before he starts to read it to himself quietly. 

"Iris." Lilly shrugs, making Marshall look up at Lilly. 

"Iris?" Marshall repeats in confusion. 

"Yeah?" I look away from Lilly and my eyes land on Iris. How long has she been standing in the front door and why is she all sweaty and wet and all red in the face?

"You're back from school." Marshall clears his throat. Iris still goes to her old school which is around an hour away. 

"Whats wrong?" I ask when I notice her breathing in and out heavily. Iris closes the door and leans against it. 

"I just got ran over by camermen." She says as she closes her eyes and tilts her head back.

"What? How?" I say as I stand up. "I thought you said that you got one of the guards to drop her off and pick her up." I say and turn to Marshall. 

"I did." He says in confusion. 

"The big Latino guy?" Iris says, making me turn my attention towards her. "Yeah...I kinda ditched him." She says slowly as she pushes her wet blonde hair back. 

"He was there for your protection." Marshall says. 

"He's embarrassing." She shrugs. 

"How?" I say as I fold my arms across my chest. 

"The kids at my school can't even afford to buy lunch." Iris says. "How embarrassing do you think it is when a big black escalade with black tinted window pulls up infornt of the school gates?" She says. "Pretty embarrassing." She adds as she takes off her back pack and places it on the floor. 

"Well next time you're going to come back with the driver." Marshall says, making Iris tut in response. 

"Its for your own safety." I add. Iris smiles for a tiny second before it quickly dissappears. She clears her throat awkwardly and covers her face when she can't help but smile again. I glance at Marshall who shrugs in response when he doesn't know why she's smiling. 

"Is everything...Alright?" I say slowly. Did I say something funny? Have I got something on my face?

"Yeah. Totally." Iris says quickly as she removes her hands from her face. "Everything is just fine." She adds, making me raise my eyebrow. 

"Iris..." I say slowly. 

"It's just that...You guys are actually worried about me." She says. "Like real parents, you know?" She adds. "This is what it feels like to have a mom and dad who care, hu?" She says as she folds her arms across her chest.

My heart sinks a little at her words and I notice Marshalls expression changes into a sad one for a split second before it goes back to his normal poker face. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that-" She says quickly but I cut her off. 

"It's fine." I say quickly. "Why...don't you get dried up and I will make you a quick snack." I suggest as I lock my hands infront of me. 

"Okay, yeah." Iris nods and picks up her bag before she walks past us and up the stairs. 

"A quick snack?" Marshall says in amusement once Iris is out of sight.