Chapter 3- The past

My eyes flung open. I was laid in bed, my white bedding with pink and purple butterflies scattered across the pattern kept me warm. I slowly sat up. Purple thick curtains stopped the orange glows shinning through the window. I looked at the alarm clock that sat on the bedside table next to my bed, it was 7 am. I'm late.

"Lily, Are you awake?" My mother shouted.

"Yeah." I replied, tiredly.

"Can I come in?" Mam said from outside the door.

"Yeah." She opened the door. Her long brown hair was tied back in a pony tail, the bags below her eyes showed the struggles she had been recently going through.

"We have to set off in 10 minutes, we can't be late today." She reminded me.

"Ok, I will shower and get dressed" She gave me a smile and left the room. I got up and put my feet onto the dark wood that covered my bedroom floor. It made my feet cold. I walked passed the soft fluffy purple rug in the center of my room as I made my way to bathroom. The sun shone off the pink and white tiles. It was blinding. I quickly got in the shower, the cold water shocked me fully awake, as I washed myself, and then brushed my teeth. I quickly walked back into my room, with a soft fluffy towel separating my body and the cold air. I took a pair of light blue jeans, and a white vest top out of my oak coloured wardrobe. I walked into the freshly painted hallway that was covered with family photos, my dance competition, cheerleading competition and Lucy's gymnastics competition photos. My converse shoes make a noise as they collided with the wooden floor.

"LILY." Mam shouted, as I walked into the kitchen. She looked and me and passed me a slice of toast to eat on the way. "Come on, Dad and Lucy are already in the car."

The drive to the hospital was long, longer than normal, as we were going to see a specialist in the North that has figured out an effective way to treat Cancer. He has cured over 200 people with no side effects. I stared out of the window the whole way there. Large forests passed the car, as we sped past. Canopies of trees stretched out for miles. Deer ran through the forest, birds flew high and danced between the trees. Orange glows fell from the clear blue sky, cars drove fast next to us as if they were in a rush.

The rest of the drive was a blur, we arrived at the hospital. The smell of disinfectant swept up my nose as soon as I step into the door. My Dad walked over to the receptionist, his skinny figure made him look frail, he used to be bulky. The bright lights in the room made a yellow glow on the top of his bald head, which used to be covered with thick dark brown hair, the same hair me and my sister have. Me and my sister were sat on the mental chairs that were covered in a blue material, which covered the cushion of the chair. While Mam walked Dad over too us. We all sat there laughing at each over, as if nothing was wrong.

"Eric Hammond" one of the nurses shouted, we all stood up and walked into the direction she pointed at. Mam and Dad wanted me and Lucy to be involved in the treatment and the information process, they thought it would be better for us. The hallway was long, the floors and walls were white, separated by brown doors.

The Doctor told us to come in. "Hello Eric, im Dr Donald Lee, but you can call me Donald." He was a thin, tall man. His blonde hair flowed over his forehead and reached to the tip of his square black frames of his glasses. "Who have we brought with us today?" He continued.

"I brought my wife Cassie, my two daughters Lily and Lucy." He told Donald. Donald shook all of our hands and reassured us the treatment was completely safe and it would make Dad better. Donald pulled out two separate needles, one contained a pale yellow solution and the other one contained a pale red solutions. "Eric all I'm going to do is inject this pale yellow solution into your arm and then you can sit there for half an hour, then I will inject you in the other arm with the pale red solution. It's a pretty painless and easy treatment, then you are free to go home" Dad gave him the go a head and Donald injected the pale yellow solution into dad's arm. "Eric I will be back in half an hour to give you your other injection, I just have other patients to deal with now. I will be back soon." Donald got to the door and turned around and said "make yourselves comfortable." Then he left the room.

"Do you feel any different?" My mam asked my dad.

"Cassie, it's been two minutes, I'm probably not going to feel better for a long time." He replied with a giggle. We all laughed and joked on with each other and Donald came back into the room.

"Glad to see you are all happy." Donald said, as he picked up the needle filled with the pale coloured red liquid. "Eric this one will be slightly more uncomfortable for a few minutes but then you're good to leave." Donald injected Dad. Dads face twitched in pain for a few seconds, then he started to relax.

"That wasn't to bad." Dad told us.

"You're free to leave now Eric, go see your doctor next week for your tests and everything should be clear." Donald told him with a smile.

"Thank you Donald." Dad said as he shook his hand. We all said thank you and left to go home.

The week flew by, Dad seemed to be a bit more happier and moved around more. Which made Mam extremely happy, family life seemed to slip back to how it used to be. The morning arrived for dad to go see his doctor, mam just went with him because me and Lucy had school that day. The day dragged, I didn't take anything in. My mind was filled with thoughts of Dad, whether he was better or if the treatment didn't work.

I arrived home from school. Me and Lucy sat on the cream sofa in our living room waiting for mam and dad to arrive.

"They should be home by now." Said Lucy worried.

"I know, maybe the doctor was running behind?" I replied, Lucy will have heard the worried tone that shock my normally steady voice. We sat in silence, staring at the black current coloured wall that sits behind the television.

Two car doors slapped. Me and Lucy ran to the wooden front door. Mam and Dad came in and just stared at us. It felt like an eternity.

"I'M CURED" Screamed Dad. We all smiled, cried and hugged each other.