Chapter 5

I try to put on a fake smile. "Thank you."

"You may say goodbye to the girls briefly, but you have a flight to catch." Madame Maliyah explains.

I nod, and look at the girls. "It was very nice meeting you all, even though it was very brief. Goodbye." I give them all a hug and turn to the couple.

"Are you ready, Noelani? I heard you can speak English well, which is helpful." The man says.

I nod, and they open the door.

I slowly walk out the same house I just entered almost 2 hours ago. How did they even know I was here? 

The man pulls the back seat door open, and I nod my head thankfully.

"So, it's only a twenty minute ride from here to the airport, but the flight is about 9 hours long, sadly." Mrs. Adams explains.

I just nod again.

"You may be wondering why we adopted you," the lady continues.

Does she ever know when to stop?!

"We were originally going to adopt Moana, but when I saw you peer from the staircase, I knew you were special. Madame Maliyah said no at first, saying that you just arrived and it was against policy, but she finally gave in! Isn't that cool?!"

I just nod again. Please. Shut. Up!!!

"I can see you're tired, we can talk more on the plane," Mrs. Adams says, and I nod once more.

Finally! Some peace and quiet!

I take a nap until we get to the airport.

I am awaken by Mr. Adams and he says, "we have a short, security check, and we have first class seats because United Airlines gave us a discount, because we're bringing you home!"

I nod again. After the whole security scan, I pick up my bag and we are lead to the first class seats on the plane.

I gasp when looking at them. This is my first time on a plane, but the seats are amazing!

 This is my first time on a plane, but the seats are amazing!

"You and I are together," Mrs. Adams explains, "and Mark is next to us," she says, referring to Mr. Adams.

I nod, and take the seat by the window. We sit in silence for a while, watching other people board the plane, then we have to listen to a flight attendant give a safety speech. After that, we take off.

I get nervous, and grip the seat while we go up, but once we level, I am able to relax.

"So, Noelani. Just to inform you, I am Alice, and my husband is Mark. We have two kids at home. A seven year old daughter named Livy, and a fourteen year old son named Brody. We live on a quiet farm in Atlanta, Georgia. Have you ever been on a farm?"

I shake my head no.

"Well, I bet you'll love it. If you need help, let me know, but I'm going to sleep, okay?"