Chapter 14 - Getting soft-hearted

Thank you for the cover i_heart_u64! 

Chapter 14 – Getting soft-hearted

     I stalked behind her; the floor of the woods were carpeted with damp shredded woods, leaves and grass because it rained heavily yesterday. I’m lucky because the whole floor was damp – it muffles my footsteps. 

     If it didn’t rain yesterday, the fallen leaves would be dry on the ground, making the leaves crispy, so even if I can walk silently, there would still be sounds of leaves crunching. Just a slightest sound, she would definitely hear it.

     Well obviously, she’s a vampire.

     My whole self-consciousness was just focusing on one thing, which is following her and until I’m sure it’s time, run up to her and stab her at the back.

     I actually wonder if being a vampire hunter is healthy, facing deaths almost every day, and I’m the cause of it, but what could I do? I needed revenge, I needed them to feel what it felt like to be hurt, just like what my mother and I felt. I feel like the hurt is eating me alive.

     She suddenly ran really fast, I looked ahead of her, and realize it’s because she saw a prey.

     A deer.

     I had a hint of sympathy, because I know that she was young, about five to six years younger than me. Vampires can grow old like all other humans, or they can stop aging if they want to at any age. I have killed some vampires that is at the same age for hundred over years.

     Judging by this girl, she hasn’t stop aging yet, so she only live for less than twelve years, which means she’s not experienced at all in feeding, maybe that’s why she’s just hunting for animals instead of humans.

     Well, some day she would.

     When I was sure it’s time to kill her, I saw another vampire walking towards her, an older one. I could tell that he was experienced.

     Wait a minute, she’s so young… Of course she’s got to have parental guidance on this! That’s one of her parents, and I bet they came here so that the father can teach his daughter to hunt. I didn’t even stop and bother to think, how could I be so dumb? I could’ve gotten killed if he had spotted me from behind me without me noticing.

     I should kill the father before I kill the daughter, because when I kill the father first, it would be a fat chance that the daughter would fight back, because she’s inexperienced and young. If it’s the other way, well… yeah, it’ll be harder, because the father would fight back since he’s experienced, and he’ll do anything to keep his daughter safe.

     I took a deep breath and ran to the father. It was a sudden surprise, so he didn’t have time to fight but when I was about to stab him, he said, “Please stop.”

    I have no idea what I’m doing. I stopped. 

    What are you doing Dawn? Kill him, kill him now. Before he kills you!

    “You can kill me,” he mumbled, “But not my daughter. Please. Let my daughter go, kill me, not my daughter. Please.” He begged.

     I gulped and said, “You have killed a lot of humans, vampire. I don’t think I can do that. Your daughter might just do the same.” I kept my voice steady and strong, but I knew inside I was hesitant, thinking if I should really let the daughter go.

     “I- I haven’t. I know you don’t believe me, but I never killed any humans, I used to, I admit, but not anymore. I only hunt animals, I don’t kill humans anymore, please, believe me.” He said, his eyes were so sincere but I’m not easily convinced. What did he mean by ‘not anymore’ anyway?