Chapter 7 - I gave him a faint smile

Chapter 7 – I gave him a faint smile

     After recess, we sat back at our places; the class was really noisy with loud voices chatting away and lots of laughter, waiting for the teacher’s arrival. Everybody was walking around the class to their friend’s places, some sitting on the table. Basically, it was a huge mess.

     I was doodling on my book, thinking about my next place to hunt vampires. There were lots of options that I know of, and I’m planning to sweep them out one by one.

     I saw Marilyn walking towards me, but then gave me a look of hatred and walk over to Ash. Her back facing me so I wouldn’t listen to their conversation.

     Well, whatever. I don’t really care, anyway.

     I went back doodling random stuff on my book, and I could hear Marilyn’s faint giggles. What are they talking about?

      I thought you said you didn’t care. I then proceed to be in my own world again. It wasn’t very long until I heard shuffling of high heels and Marilyn left his table. I saw him at the corner of my eye. He has a letter in hand as he pushed the chair behind, standing up. I don’t think he read it, and by the way he held it, he didn’t seem interested in it.

     Unfortunately, my mouth betrayed me. “What is that?” I asked, eyeing the letter.

     He looked down at the letter he’s holding and said, “It’s nothing, Marilyn just gave me some dumb letter that I’m about to throw it away.”

     “Have you read it?” I asked curiously, meeting his eyes. Oh, what happened to me ‘minding my own business’ and ‘not caring at all’? He shook his head, taking in his expression, I don’t think he even want to read it. Oh, what would Marilyn write to him? A love letter?

     He saw me staring at it, and he handed it to me. “Since you’re so curious, you read it.” The offer sounds so tempting but I declined. I’m not those type of person who sticks my nose into other peoples' business. And I’m surely not those type of people who would even care about what cravings or whatever a popular girl has for a boy that has been written in a letter. 

     “Aren’t you curious at all? Marilyn doesn’t like letters she write for boys ending up in the trash. Plus, she doesn’t normally do letters.”

     He chuckled, “Enlighten me.”

     I rolled my eyes and gave in. I snatched the letter away from him and started reading it. It wrote,

     ‘Ash, I can’t believe you would choose Dawn over me, but I guess that time you were just confused or something, you weren’t thinking properly, and I forgive you for that. I’ll give you a second chance. Everybody deserves a second chance right? Meet me at the back door after school. I’ll be waiting for you, and you wouldn’t want your second chance to slip away like that, right? So don’t make me wait for you. We could just meet up and talk, maybe then you’ll come back to your senses and find me really interesting.  -Marilyn’

      “Marilyn’s ego couldn’t get any bigger.” I commented, handing him back the letter with a disappointed look.

     “What did it say?” He asked, taking back the letter, I make sure our hands didn’t brush so I gave him the letter by holding the edge of it, giving him a sign to take the other end of letter.

     He did. “Why don’t you read it?” I said impatiently. He sighed and decided to read it. He had a dislike look on his face the whole time he was reading it, and his eyebrows were furrowed a little bit.