a part of me

josh admired the sleeping boy next to him, heart filling with fondness and a hint of guilt. small snores emitted from tyler and he looked so content, josh just wished things could always be so simple for him.

he didn't want to do this, he really didn't, but as he pulled up outside of the joseph's household he knew he couldn't back down now.

he had driven for hours while tyler slept, unaware of where josh was taking him. the older of the two felt tears well up in his eyes but he wiped them away; this wasn't the time for a breakdown. he had to go through with this.

he slipped the handwritten note into tyler's bag and took a few minutes to appreciate the beauty his boyfriend possessed, dreading the moment he would have to disturb his rest.

but despite his hesitation josh exited the car with tyler's bags in his hand, laying them on the front steps. the streetlights illuminated the dark yard and josh returned to his car once again, finally allowing the tears to slip freely down his face.

he picked tyler up, the brunette shuffling a bit in his sleep as he groaned in annoyance as to what was going on. his eyes fluttered open as he slowly rose to consciousness, groggily leaning up to kiss his boyfriend. oh, did josh return the kiss. he savored every little detail of it. from the way tyler tasted, to the way their lips moved against one another, to the feeling of tyler's soft lips, he savored it all. it surprised tyler but he thought nothing of it at the moment. but as he felt a stray tear land on his face he immediately knew something was wrong.

and he had never been more right in his life. he was placed carefully alongside his bags on the front steps of his house, not having time to process it before josh turned his back and was running to his car.

"i love you so much tyler. check the front pocket of your bag."

with that josh was driving away, leaving tyler alone and confused with no idea what happened. so he did as told and checked his bag, fingers grasping a neatly folded piece of paper.

'dear tyler,
this isn't how i wanted things to end up. if it had gone my way we would be happily together without anything stopping us. but life doesn't always work out in our favor, so i did what i had to do. i'm leaving and i don't know when i'll be back, but i promise that i will come back one day. don't wait up for me. live your life like a normal teenager and have fun. be with someone who will give you the love you deserve and make you feel like the princess you are. tyler, i love you more than words can describe but i can't live with myself knowing that i'm taking away your teenage years from you. you shouldn't live your life worrying about getting caught in an illegal relationship, that's not healthy. i will never forget you and maybe we'll see each other in a few years, but until then, please don't hold back from living a normal life. i love you.
-josh'

•••
a/n

i may or may not have cried while writing this
-carina