chapter ten

"Why are you making me do this again? Prom is like three weeks away," Normani groaned. Lauren had a strong grip on her hand as she yanked her down the sidewalk on Friday afternoon.

"Exactly. Three weeks for you to find a dress is just enough time," Lauren replied. Normani rolled her eyes and continued to trudge behind Lauren, who was excitedly pulling her to Macy's.

"Lauren, I could be-"

"You could be practicing, you could be doing homework, you could be fucking Dinah. I don't care, you're getting a dress today," Lauren interrupted. Normani nearly tripped at the last comment that Lauren made.

"I've never even been to prom, for all I know I could be doing this for some lame dance," Normani grumbled.

"True. But you're doing this for your girl. So you have to look nice. And also I just wanted a friend to go with me," Lauren answered.

"Why didn't you ask Camila?" Normani questioned. Lauren faltered slightly.

"We had an argument," she responded flatly.

"Bout what?" Normani tested.

"You are my best friend so I guess I should tell you," she said. Normani nodded. They walked into the mall but were walking at a less urgent pace than before.

"A few weeks back I went to a small party and Camila was there. She was drunk as fuck and so was I and we ended up making out in her backyard. But that was it. Nothing else. Only I think that she has real actual feelings for me. She confronted me about it after practice yesterday and I said it was nothing but a drunken mistake and that I only wanted to be friends. She looked hurt," Lauren explained.

"Damn girl. You're screwed," Normani responded.

"I'm very much aware of that, thank you Captain Obvious," the raven haired girl said, annoyance evident in her voice. The two talked and joked until they arrived at Macy's. Lauren then grabbed Normani's hand again and practically sprinted to the prom dress section.

"It's so . . . sparkly," Normani said.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Lauren said dreamily.

"I said sparkly. Not beautiful."

"Same difference."

Lauren was dragging Normani to ever corner of the dress section. She eventually found one dress that she actually liked. Lauren, who had already found her dress, then shoved her into the dressing room. After many minutes of struggling, Normani finally had her dress on. It was a royal blue, long dress, halter top as well. The top was what Normani thought of as being where fairies threw up, but in a good way. the bottom was flowy and solid color. She had to admit, it looked nice.

"Stop admiring yourself in the mirror and let me see," Lauren groaned. Normani rolled her eyes and opened the dressing room door. Lauren had an amused look on her face as she looked over the dress.

"You actually look really nice," she commented.

"I look like a fucking unicorn took a shit on the top half of me," Normani said.

"What a positive attitude you have."

Normani ignored Lauren's comment and went back into the dressing room to take the dress off. Many more minutes of struggling later, she was out and purchased the dress. Shoes were a whole different story.

"I don't understand the-ow, my ankle-purpose of heels," Normani mumbled, rolling her ankle for the fourth time.

"I don't either, but it's fancy, so you have to wear heels," Lauren replied. Normani stumbled around the aisle of heels, nearly falling on her face.