chapter nine

Normani checked the time on her phone screen. 12:05 a.m. She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand and loaded more softballs into the machine. She couldn't sleep so she decided to take a drive to the batting cages. She was just praying that her mom didn't wake up and find her not there. Putting on her helmet again, she readied her stance and got into her zone. Normani was on fire. She hadn't missed a single ball. Plus, they were going far.

"Fancy seeing you here."

Normani instantly recognized the voice behind her and faltered. She missed her first ball that night. It was the last one of the round. She turned around and saw Dinah standing on the other side of the cage. Her hair was pulled back but a lot of strands fell around her face. She was in a tank top and shorts. Clearly she had been working hard.

"Indeed it is," the brunette responded, walking to the edge of the cage. She pulled her helmet off of her head.

"Why're you here this late?" Dinah asked.

"Couldn't sleep," Normani responded.

"You do realize if your mom realizes you're not in your bed she'll-"

"Kick my ass. I know, I've known her for almost 17 years," giggled Normani. Dinah walked closer to the cage. So close that the only thing between the two girls was the metal fence.

"Kiss?" the blonde asked softly. Normani bit her lip and nodded, quickly closing the distance between them for a split second, the fence was a bit of an issue. Dinah pouted when Normani pulled back.

"Sorry, gotta get back to practicing," she shrugged. Normani couldn't help but notice that she could feel Dinah's eyes traveling her body as she walked back to load another round of softballs.

"I can feel your eyes, Dinah," she called out.

"No you can't."

"Oh yes I can."

Normani picked up her bat again and sent Dinah a look. She focused her mind and managed to hit every ball, even with Dinah's gaze on her back.

"Are you just gonna stand there and watch me?" Normani asked, spinning around.

"I was gonna take more artsy pictures of you but you turned around and ruined it," Dinah admitted, putting her phone down.

"Geez, sorry. I didn't realize I was fascinating to you," Normani replied, gathering up her stuff.

"You're always fascinating to me," the blonde responded.

"Are you flirting with me?" Normani asked as she walked out of the cage and to her rented locker.

"Maybe a little," Dinah responded, leaning against the lockers. Normani closed her locker and stepped closer to Dinah.

"I'm taken," she said.

"Oh well."

Normani laughed and wrapped her arms around the taller girl's neck, connecting their lips in a kiss. Dinah sighed into the kiss but still seemed tense. Normani pulled back and looked at Dinah's face.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"Nothing. Just thinking," Dinah responded.

"About what?" Normani pushed.

"Maaaaani," Dinah whined. Normani placed a hand on Dinah's cheek.

"Babe," Dinah smiled at that, "you know you can tell me anything," she insisted.

"It's stupid."

"Dinah, just tell me." Dinah sighed and looked down at the ground.

"Um, well . . . prom is coming up and I'm probably not gonna go because I've never had a date," she said softly. She seemed to be hinting at something. Normani smiled but didn't say anything.