28

Nikki Dawson

"Daniel, stop fussing and go and get in to bed!" I scold him, shoving my work bag over my shoulder.

It's been three months since I returned from the hospital, and I'm finally returning to work now that I am stronger physically and mentally. I can't wait to go back to work, I love my patients, I love watching them conquer their inner battles. I love helping them do it.

Daniel has just come home from a night shift, and from the dark circles under his eyes, I can see he's exhausted, but he's pottering around me with worried questions and helpful actions.

"Baby, are you sure that you're ready?" He asks me as he puts down the sandwiches he has just wrapped up for me.

Shaking my head with a tiny smile on my face, I step towards him and take hold of his hands in mine. "Yes, I am. It will do me good to get out and back doing what I love." I tell him as I let go of one of his hands and place my palm on his cheek. With a sigh, I feel him relax as he tightens his hand around mine and presses his head into my hand.

Eight days after we left the hospital, we had Katherine's funeral. It was small, quiet and very helpful. 

I have a place to go and see her and to talk to her. She's been lay to rest and she's in peace. If I can't have her in my arms, then this is what I want for her. Katherine will forever be in my heart.

"Okay, sweetheart, I'm going to bed before I pass out." He lets out a heavy sigh and leans forward, placing a kiss on my forehead. "Please be safe and have a good day, I love you." He murmurs against my head before planting another kiss.

"I love you too, Daniel." I tell him, "Text me when you wake up." Slowly, I lean up and place a tender kiss on his lips.

"I'll see you later, baby." He squeezes my hand and trudges out of the kitchen and down the hallway towards the stairs to get the sleep he needs.

Daniel has been struggling to sleep since that happened. At first, I thought we were going to be thrown straight back to square one with him and his issues. He was apprehensive to get into bed with me, he was cautious to sleep around me and even touching me seemed terrifying to him. However, we have done a lot of talking and we took baby steps. Now he is much more relaxed, even though we still have work to do.

***

I lean back in my leather chair as the door to my office closes, signalling the end of my first appointment that day. 

That case is particularly difficult. She is a young girl who was attacked by her new boyfriend. He made her believe that he loved her... but she was much mistaken. It's heartbreaking sometimes. However, I've been working with her for a while now and we're making progress. That's why I do this job. It's so  rewarding and it's so surprising how much you learn about yourself through working with people in their times of need.

Letting out a deep sigh, I lean forward and wrap my hand around the brass handle of the drawer on my mahogany drawer and open it to retrieve the file of my next client who is someone I haven't seen before.

I know his name is Rasha Kattan from looking at my planner, but I don't know much about him. So I flick through the alphabetically labelled files until I come across the K's. When I find Rasha's file, I pull it out and push the heavy drawer shut with my knee as I shuffle closer to my desk.