9

Daniel Cooper

The music pounds against my head and it takes everything I have not to recoil from the noise and run back to my car.

I look around Legacy, the most popular club in Norwich and its full to the brim of people. Too many people.

Deep breaths, Daniel. I remind myself, then follow out my own instructions. While its a large room, I can feel my claustrophobia beginning to kick in. It's hard to breath in the dimly lit, full room.

You're here for a reason. I think the little reminders and pep talks are the only thing that will get me through this evening.

Nikki. She convinced me to come tonight. She's right, I do need to move on, but that is easier said than done. But, she believes I can do this, so I must believe too. I look around the large, overcrowded club, and my eyes land on a girl sat at the bar with her back to me, strawberry blonde hair cascading down past her shoulders. There she is.

With a quick shake of my head, I begin to journey across the room towards the remarkable woman sat at the bar.

After pushing through many drunk people, I find myself stood behind her, as she leans against the bar, her manicured fingers tapping against the edge of her glass.

She leans down for her bag and that's when I make my move and sit in the empty stool next to her. "Don't take your eye off your drink like that." I say, just loud enough that she'll be able to hear me.

She jumps up quickly, looking at me like a rabbit in head lights. "Daniel." She says so quietly that I can only just pick up on her words, full of shock.

I smile partially and I'm shocked when she leaps forwards wrapping her arms around my neck. Carefully, I return the embrace. I haven't hugged someone other than my mum in years, apart from earlier when Nikki tried to hug me.

"You came." She says as she retreats from my arms, a broad smile on her face.

Nodding slightly, I look in to her green eyes. "You were right. I need help, I need to let you help me." I shake my head and catch the attention of the bar tender.

He comes over to me, throwing a black tea towel over his shoulder. "What can I get you, mate?" He asks, a big smile on his face.

I think a little bit. I haven't had a drink in a long time. "Jack D. and coke, please." I've always liked that, well, I did when I was eighteen and using a fake ID. I look over at Nikki who still hasn't stopped smiling. "And whatever this young lady is having."

Nikki looks up at me then at the bar tender. "Jager Bomb, please" she says and the bar tender winks at her.

"Coming right up, guys" He turns around and begins to make our drinks.

I turn around on my stool slightly and my eyes scan over all the people in the club. They all look so happy, having the time of their lives, not a care in the world. I remember when I was one of those people.

"Nine fifty, buddy." Says the charismatic bar tender as he slide our drinks towards us. I reach in to my back pocket, take out my wallet and hand over the right amount of money, handing it to him.

"Thank you, Daniel." Says Nikki and I turn to look at her. I take the time to really look at her.

Her hair is curled gently so they roll down her back, he eye make up is slightly darker than normal, causing her eyes to stand out even more. She's wearing a tight black dress that stops half way down her thigh, making her figure look even more perfect.

"Do you normally come out drinking on a week night?" I ask, taking a sip of my drink.

It burns the back of my throat, in a good way, instantly warming me. The slightly bitter taste bringing back memories of the days me and my brother would come out drinking. This is the first time I've thought of him without being overcome with grief. I shut my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I'm not going to be getting stupid drunk. Daniel... are you okay? " She asks me and I look down at her and smile.

"I'm actually really good, Nikki. Haven't had this drink in years." I nudge the glass and chuckle slightly.

"I'm glad you came. I know it must have been hard for you." She brings her glass to her lips, drinking from it. I watch her intensely. God. She's so beautiful. I shake my head and focus on what she said.

"Yes, it was hard for me. Very hard. But I'm actually very glad I came. You're right, it's about time I move on and live a little." I look down at my drink as I talk, then drink from it again.

"I'm proud of you." She says to me and I look at her a little shocked before taking a large gulp of my drink. This girl has wormed her way into my ice cold heart, and I can't shake her off, no matter how hard I try. She's special, and I haven't said that about a girl for nearly ten years.

After we've finished our drinks, Nikki takes hold of my hand. I go to pull away at first, but refrain from it.

"Lets dance." She says with a broad smile as she stands up and tries to drag me to the crowded dance floor.

"No, Nikki, I can't." I say as sternly as I can as I look at everyone on the floor, packed together like sardines. Not a place a claustrophobic person should be.

"Please." She widens her eyes as flutters her eye lashes slightly. I sigh and relax. I trust her.

She smiles and begins to drag me across the room and down the three steps to the floor. She wriggles her way through the crowd as I do my best to keep calm.

Once we get to a slightly, but not much, calmer area of the dance floor, Nikki begins to dance, her arms in the air. She looks so happy, so absolutely gorgeous as the lights reflect on her hair and her captivating eyes.

I can't help myself anymore, I grab hold of her waist and pull her in to me, crashing my lips to hers. She's still at first, shocked, bit quickly begins to kiss me back. I hold on to her slim waist as she brings her arms around my neck. It's passionate, it's hot, it's fast.

Soon, she pulls away for breath. "I'm sorry, Nikki." I say, but I still hold her against me. I don't want to play with her feelings, but I don't want to let her go.

"Don't be, Daniel." She smiles at me, still with her arms around me.

It's hard to admit this to myself, but I do like Nikki. I really do, but I don't want to hurt her. I want to keep her at arms length and protect her from myself, but I can't. Actually, Nikki is the one saving me from myself. I was destroying myself slowly, but she's stopped it, and I feel that she's turning my life around for the good, bit by bit.