15

~ One month later ~

Daniel Cooper

It's been a month since Nikki moved in, our relationship is still going strong and I love her more and more each day.

Last week, I took her to meet my parents and they were so happy that I'm turning my life around and so happy that Nikki has been there to help me. While I still wouldn't tell them everything that has happened, I promised them that I wouldn't shut them out any more and I'll go and see them a lot more.

When I told them about our baby, at first they were concerned that it was too soon, and I assured them that it wasn't intentional, I love my baby and I'm going to be here for them both.

Once their concerns were put to rest, they were ecstatic and I believe my mum is going to be one doting Grandma. Even my dad was excited and he hasn't been the same since my brother died.

Quietly, I sneak in through my front door and shut it behind me gently.

I was on a night shift tonight and its currently half past four in the morning. I don't want to wake up Nikki.

Carefully, I untie my laces and pull off my heavy boots, placing them against the wall softly. Shrugging off my fleece, I hang it on the coat hook near the door, then behind the pad through the house silently.

Normally, I'd stay up and have a cup of coffee then go to bed, but I'm shattered, so tonight, I go straight to the stairs and climb them, avoiding the boards I know are squeaky.

I know how it feels to have your sleep constantly disturbed, so on my night shifts, I have begun to learn where noisy floor boards are, in attempt to keep that little bit quieter for her.

When I reach the top of the stairs, I go through in to the bed too, slipping in quickly. I go around to my side of the bed and quickly take off my uniform, placing it in the washing basket.

Just in my boxers, I lift the covers and get in slowly, then I relax in to the soft mattress.

For a minute or two, I lay there, then I begin the drift off, but then two small arms wrap around me and Nikki holds herself against me.

I jump a little as it still makes me nervous when people touch me when I'm not expecting it, but once I give myself the little pep talk of, 'it's only Nikki, don't worry', I can relax.

I wrap my arms around her then allow sleep to take over.

****

The shrill of my alarm awakes me from my slumber and I jump up as my dream is interrupted. Dream, not nightmare.

Since Nikki has been helping me, my nightmares begin to get better, and now they are very rare. Only once in every two weeks normally. That doesn't sound rare, but it's a long way from every night. And when I do have them, Nikki is there with her reassuring words to calm me down.

Groaning, I roll on to my side and make my alarm shut up and then I drag my self up and sit on the side of my bed.

I glance at my clock. 11:00pm. My standard time for getting up after a night shift. Standing up, I go to my wardrobe and open one of the drawers then retrieve a pair of black trackies and pull them on.

Rubbing my hands over my face, I slip my phone in the pocket then make my way put of my room and down the stairs.

I go in to the living room to find Nikki sat on the sofa with her feet curled beneath her as she reads a book. When she hears me enter, Nikki looks over to me and smiles.