20

Daniel Cooper

As I come around from my sleep, I subconsciously snuggle in to the warmth next to me. Warmth next to me?

My eyes open sharply to find Nikki sleeping soundly in my arms. Then I remember last night. I remember Carter putting me in my place, then cuddling up to Nikki to keep her warm.

I want Nikki to help me, badly, but I'm scared I'll lash out and hurt her or our baby in my sleep...

Speaking of sleep. I actually slept! Nikki was right, again. Like last time, the night I slept with her in my arms was the night that my nightmares left me alone. And that is exactly what happened last night.

Mental note, trust your lady, Daniel.

Subconsciously, I move my hands between us and cover her now showing belly. "I'll be a good daddy, I promise." I whisper quietly, shutting my eyes as I hold on to this renewed comfort I am feeling.

Then I feel soft lips move against my chest. "Yes, Daniel, you will." Her voice is muffled, but it's still gentle and warm as she gets herself as close to me as she possible can with a baby between us.

There's now only five months until our baby is born. Just five months. And we have a lot of organising to do.

****

I step in through the front door, ready to start my routine of boots off, coat off and shouting to Nikki to tell her I'm home.

Today, I am greeted by Nikki who points to the phone between her shoulder and chin.

I nod and smile, quietly kissing her forehead.

"Okay, Mum." Chuckles Nikki as she walks back through to the kitchen where she was watering the plants on the window sill.

"What? Yes, I'm fine." Nikki confirms frowning.

"Oh, Daniel just got home from work, it distracted me." Nikki smiles as she places the water jug on the counter.

"Yes, you can meet him any time you want." Nikki looks over at me and I gulp slightly.

I feel bad that I haven't met her parents and we've been officially together four months.

They're big in to traveling, so when they were at home, I was still a mess. I guess I still am, but I'm one million times more stable than I was.

Anyway, I didn't want to meet them then and make them believe I couldn't look after their daughter, but now I'm ready, just nervous...

They got home from their last trip to Texas a few days ago and are now chomping at the bit, ready to meet the mysterious man who got their baby pregnant.

"Okay, bye, Mum." She smiled as her mum chatters on. "Yes, I love you too."

Nikki hangs up and places her phone on the kitchen counter, then turns to me. "How would you feel about meeting my parents today?" She smiles using her best puppy dog eyes.

I let out a deep breath, watching her for a moment.

Since we had that issue with Corey a month ago and I went downhill again, I've been working with Nikki these last couple of days and I've already come a long way, or so she tells me.

"Yes, that's fine." I tell her with a tiny shake of my head, while her face lights up in a massive smile.

Nikki crosses the room, coming over to me and places her tiny hands on my broad chest before travelling them up my body and around my neck. "Thank you." She says quietly, then she leans up, pressing her lips to mine.

I'm so lucky to have her. So, so lucky. I thought Corey was going to kill her, I really did. To have her standing here in my arms makes me the luckiest man in the world, and I'll be forever grateful for her.