28. Fireworks and Sparks

K A R A ' S    P O V :

It's been about a week since the "friendship" between Jason and I started. I ended up driving him to my house that one night - I blame Rachel! - and Ryder picked him up. Both my wolf and I got to know him better, and vice versa. 

The one thing we both have in common, though, is that we despise Evelyn. We have been hanging out for the past few days when Kelly got sick. In the hallways, we have come up with intricate plans to avoid her at all costs. I must say, I can see why we are mates - we make a pretty good team.

I am upset that I can't reveal my true identity to him since he doesn't know about the mate bond we have, but I am also happy. Our relationship started with one as friends, where we get to know each other instead of jumping straight into all the mushy gushy junk.

I was walking down the hall on an ordinary Friday when Jason appeared in front of me. "Hey Kara!"

I laughed at his eagerness to talk to me before responding. "Hello Jason."

He awkwardly began scratching the back of his neck. "Um, so a few of us from school are going to a firework display tonight. Do you want to come?"

I had been invited to small events among my old pack, but with the threats on Blue Moon those soon became nonexistent. 

"Sure. Who all is going?"

"Me, Caleb, Charlotte, Kelly, Ryder..." He then proceeded to continue to list names of class mates attending that I wasn't familiar with. He soon saw my hesitation in my eyes when he had mentioned Charlotte. "Don't worry, you don't have to hang out with people you don't want to. But I seriously need your help evading Evelyn."

"Is that the only reason you are inviting me?" I teased.

Jason smirked in return. "Maybe not..."

The warning bell rang and we ran to class.

It looked like this was his way of making up for me driving him that one day.

....

That night, I had coordinated with Jason, who agreed to picking me up. Deciding not to go too formal, I put on a pair of ripped jeans, and a grey sweater. Even though the werewolf part of me was able to heat my body in extremely cold temperatures, I needed to blend in among the humans. I was already hanging out with the alpha all of a sudden, I didn't need anything else to incriminate me. I put on black ankle boots and made my way down the stairs with my blond and purple hair cascading down my back.

"Aunt Martha! I'm going out!"

"Okay, just don't do anything stupid, like getting caught!"

That reminded me - I needed more of that masking spray!

"Martha, I need more of that perfume!"

"No you don't sweetheart, now go!"

What? How was I supposed to go to a werewolf-infested area reeking of rogue? Was I asking to be killed??!!!!!

Before I could bicker with Martha anymore, however, the doorbell rang. Real convenient. 

I opened it slowly, to find Jason on my porch, texting at the moment. His brown hair was messy as usual, but looked fantastic at the same time. He had a black athletic t shirt and dark wash jeans. He looked up and smiled. 

"Hey, you ready to go?" I nodded reluctantly, before following him out. Just before I got into his Camaro, I saw Martha wave through one of the windows, to which I shot a death glare back. Oh boy, did I really hate her right now. 

...

When we arrived, everyone was hanging out in a field where the fire works would be shot off. All the cars were parked up and people were holding tailgate parties. I only recognized a handful of people from school, but the rest mostly smelled of wolves. Just great.

We parked towards the back, and made our way to the middle of the gathering. At first I thought Jason was just doing this to loose Evelyn had she spotted us already, but then I saw Ryder sitting in the back of what I presumed was his truck. 

"Jason! Kara!" We jogged over to where he currently was. "You guys can hang out over here and sit in the bed of the truck if you want. You are my friends, after all."

Jason and him got engaged in a deep conversation, so I sought out someone I knew. I had to avoid Charlotte and Evelyn's group, but I eventually found Kelly. "Hey Kel!"

"Kara! HI!" We hugged before I questioned her about her disappearance. She quickly brushed it off saying she caught a cold and that it was nothing. This only made me more suspicious. I brushed it off for now, convincing both Rachel and I that we needed to take a break. 

"Hey, do you want to come hang out with Jason and some of his friends? I really don't want to be the only girl over there." She nodded enthusiastically before linking arms as we walked back. 

When we arrived at the truck, I quickly introduced Kelly to Ryder, since Jason had already met her. She was really shy at first, but when their hands brushed, her eyes lit up like never before. Could she be feeling the mate bond? Wait - was Kelly Ryder's mate?!

"What's the chance that the only friends we've made here are the mates of the highest ranking wolves?!" Rachel asked incredulously, just as surprised as I am. They immediately began talking before disappearing from sight.

"Hey Kara, the show's about to start. Do you want to come up here?" Jason asked from the back of the truck, patting the spot next to him. While I had been with Kelly him and Ryder had draped it in blankets. 

"Sure," I replied, and with the help of Jason, hoisted myself into the truck. We both laid down beside each other, only with our elbows touching. Just as the first fire work lit up the sky, Jason held my hand. I looked over at him, only to find he was already staring at me. 

My words caught in my throat. Usually, this never happens. I always have a comeback. This is just what my mate does to me. 

Not wanting to look like a total idiot, I put my head back and watched as the fireworks continued to light the night sky, the only thing remotely as bright was the stars in the background. 

I found myself speaking to break the tense awkward silence. "It's so beautiful."

Jason chuckled lightly beside me, before pulling me closer. "That's not the only thing that's beautiful tonight."

I don't quite remember who made the first move. All I know, is that we ended up sitting right next to each other, and our lips met. 

I wanted to melt right there on the spot. Sparks like never before exploded from our lips as they moved together.

Jason seemed surprised at first, definitely not expecting the sparks, but he continued anyway.

That was the night when it really hit me.

This plan was going to be a whole lot more complicated.

...

Hey guys! 

Two updates in one day! I am back on schedule!

Please send me feedback on what you think of the story so far!

Thanks for reading and

Don't forget to

READ. VOTE. COMMENT!

-HEXODUS ;}