8. The Other Mate

K A R A ' S   P O V :

When I saw Jason walk into the room, I knew I was a goner. His brown hair was styled messily, and the dark circles under his eyes let me know that he has been up for a while, concentrating on something. He and his friends look around the room, as if trying to find something they overlooked.

I told myself to remain calm. It was probably nothing, just your average rogue problem. I felt a small amount of comfort sitting next to Charlotte, although she was oblivious to my predicament.

During their relentless search, Jason suddenly focused on me. He brushed it off and kept searching, and behind his eyes I could practically sense his wolf on the hunt. Rachel whined and pawed at the air. "I can't be sure whether he is our mate or not, but I really want to go see him. Just give me control for one second..."

"No," I hastily replied. There was absolutely no way I was going to give Rachel control while in this pack, let alone in front of their future Alpha. I looked up from the conversation Charlotte and I were having about our weekend plans and unintentionally looked in Jason's direction.

That was it, only a glance in his direction when I was suddenly held captive by his hypnotizing green eyes. Something behind his eyes flashed, sending Rachel in a frenzy. I mentally rolled my eyes at her behavior. Yes, that was his wolf, but he isn't even our mate. I offer a small smile before rejoining the conversation. I'm not a total weirdo...

Rachel suddenly started bugging me. "Alpha's wolf is analyzing our scent." Looking closer, I see his eyes slightly more black. "He is discussing it with his human. We need to apply more of that spray!" I quickly reach for the bottle, only to find it was in my locker. I had brought with me this morning , hoping to cover what rogue was on us.

Looking back - not sure why I keep doing this - I see Jason's eyes glaze over. One explanation: mind link. His attention faded to me, and I shot him a skeptical look. Was he trying to inform his pack about a potential rogue in the class. Oh, I sincerely hoped not. The last thing I needed was to get pulled out in the middle of class and be sent to the highest paying pack on the spot for who knows what. One thing, this was not my goal.

"So... Kara, you seem to be looking over at top dog quite frequently." I looked at Charlotte, who had one eyebrow raised. I smirked, her word usage was quite accurate.

"Oh, I'm only making sure he doesn't find out who is sitting in front of him." I smirk, my recent fear slowly evaporating. Jason may have known something was off, and possibly that there was a rogue on his territory, but he didn't know that it was me. And I was going to make sure it stayed that way.

...

I entered the lunch room with Charlotte at my side, and we attempted to walk to our table. The key word there is "attempted". It looks like that was not on Evelyn's agenda, however. Seeing us come in, she got up and strutted over to us.

"You," she spat in my face. "You are the one that is trying to confuse my boyfriend. He is mine, and you can't change that. I don't know where you came from, but stealing people's-"

"Listen here," I said, unintentionally adding power to my voice. What can I say, I am an Alpha's daughter, after all. "I don't know who put that delusional idea in your small brain that I am into your boyfriend, but they are wrong." I try to hold back a smirk as I continue with my argument. "I think you should be asking him why he is cheating on you. I don't look at him in class, he does. Who do I catch staring at me? Him." I felt a small ounce of guilt for sending this rabid animal on Jason, but it had to be done.

"You-you liar!" She shrieked, gaining the attention of the whole cafeteria.

"Well there went our plan for going unnoticed.." Rachel added sarcastically.