Chapter 1 - Like a Bad Romantic Comedy

Comenzar desde el principio

A moment passes an mortification settles over me like a blanket. But then, luckily, he laughs. "I mean... you know, something Ashley will find pretty."

What Adam doesn't know, is that I am having a small celebration party inside my head for making him laugh. What he actually sees is me politely smiling and turning my attention to the rings between us. After asking him about budget (and him saying "we'll see") I pull out a tray of extravagant rings that I know is right down Ashley's alley.

We have pretty different taste in fashion but I still know exactly what she likes. She has come over several times and tried out rings, raving about how she is sure that Adam will propose at one point or another pretty soon. I always brushed it off, secretly hoping that they would break up. It sounds horrible when I think about it.

I pick up a big, sparkly ring that Ashley has tried on countless times.

"This is very much her," I remark, leaving out the part where Ashley and I already have planned her whole wedding out. "It's...extra."

Adam chuckles absentmindedly and looks down at the tray, picking up another one. Despite it's price being pretty low compared to other rings in here, and despite it's simplicity, I've drooled over it many, many times. I've even put it on my finger and imagined it being my own engagement ring.

So when I imagine Ashley wearing it, something shifts in me.

Out of panic, I pick up another ring hastily and hold it out in front of him. "Isn't this gorgeous?"

But Adam has his eyes set on my dream ring. He studies it closely and smiles. "I've made up my mind."

A queasy feeling settles in the pit of my stomach, making me anxiously move my weight from one foot to another behind the counter. "Are you sure? Most people look longer-"

"Yeah." He nods determinedly. "I'm sure."

Pursing my lips, I nod curtly and take the ring from his outstretched hand. As I find a blue velvet box, Adam furrows his brows, leaning onto the counter with his hands and nervously bounces back and forth. I peek up at him from my crouched position finding the packaging.

"You okay?" I ask. As if he had been completely lost in his own mind, he is somewhat startled when he hears my voice.

"Yeah, yeah," he says unconvincingly. I stand up again.

"Okay," I say, disregarding his obvious unease. "So when's the proposal?"

He clears his throat. "Uh, I'm not really sure yet. Sometime soon, I suppose. Whenever I get enough balls to ask." He chuckles quickly.

I glance up at him as I set up the register. It feels pretty devastating that he is going to propose to Ashley. It's not that I don't want the best for her... but out of any guy she could have chosen, she had to go and pick Adam. And usually her relationships would only last about three or four months – six maximum. But here we are, going on three years.

"So where's the party going to be?" I try to act cool while I ask, acting as if this isn't affecting me at all.

"Party?" Adam is confused – baffled even.

I find myself frowning at the blond guy in front of me. "You're throwing her a party, right?" He only furrows his brows back at me. "She'll be expecting a surprise party after your proposal, Adam," I sternly say. He takes a step back from the counter, confusion laced through his annoyance. I feel queasy. I don't want to make him be irritated with me.

Apparently, he isn't enjoying the situation either, so he moves on, "I'm ready to pay."

He hands me his card and the transaction is over in a minute. He declines a bag and rather just puts the box in his jacket pocket. In a brisk motion, he heads for the door and I call out his name before I even think through what I am doing.

He freezes right before the door, and the longest split second I've ever experienced passes before he turns around. "Hm?"

"Uh," I stutter, suddenly at a loss for words. The whole situation feels cheesy, like a bad romantic comedy. Only in this one, the girl does not get the guy, which sucks and kind of ruins the whole meaning of a romantic comedy. It just makes it sombre. "I'll help you," I offer pathetically, scratching my neck and put forward my best smile at the moment, which ironically also makes it look like I have a big shit. "with the party."

Adam only stares at me for a while, like a malfunctioning robot, before he chuckles in a futile attempt to make it less awkward (a.k.a. Mission Impossible). I think he must have thought I was joking, because when he sees that I'm not laughing with him, he stops smiling. "Really?"

At this point, I feel extremely uncomfortable. "Uh, yeah. I've planned two surprise birthdays for her. I know what she'd want."

It's true. Ashley and I have been best friends for years on end and she has always loved parties. She can have fun anywhere, at any time. She could get down at a funeral reception if it wasn't so inappropriate. I've always been mellower but she brings out a wilder side of me every time we go out.

I'm surprised when Adam shrugs. "Sure, I don't see why not."

It wasn't the Yes, please help me, I love you that I had been hoping for, but at least he said yes. Then it dawns on me that I will have to follow through now.

"Really?"

I probably look similar to what he did five seconds ago. He nods at me and comes back to the counter, pulling out his phone from his pocket.

"Put your number in here and I'll call you or something," he says and I almost faint. Putting my number into Adam Cooper's contact list has been on my bucket list ever since I first saw him three years ago.

With almost shaky fingers, I take his phone and punch my number in. I triple check to make sure I didn't type it in wrong, and when I am positive it's right, I hand the phone back. "There you go," I squeak, unable to keep a smile from bubbling up.

After he thanks me, he turns for the door again. When he is halfway out, I screech his name again. He turns around expectantly.

"Uhm, good luck," I gush out. I meant it, and I didn't mean it. It felt weird saying it, as if I was totally cool with this engagement and that it didn't affect me in the least. "Well, we both know she's going to say yes, but just for formality's sake."

Adam laughs humorously. "Thanks." Then his smile fades and he seems to go a little into himself, probably thinking about the proposal. I see the nervousness peek out again, but he leaves the store before I get to say something embarrassing.

First chapter read! Yay! What did you guys think? Please comment your thoughts!

This book will update every Friday, guaranteed :)