Chapter 1 - Like a Bad Romantic Comedy

Hey guys, thank you for clicking on this story! I hope you like it, because I do haha. I've been working on this story for a long time now so I'm so happy to finally publish it. The casting is of course just a suggestion, so you can always just imagine the characters as you'd like. 

And please comment and vote as you read!

Oh, and check out the little trailer I made ^^^

Anyways, enough talking! Enjoy!

A familiar face enters the store

He comes in with long confident strides, even though he is subconsciously tapping his thigh with his fingers. It's not something you notice at first glance, and I'm not especially observant usually. I guess it was just something about the fact that Adam was walking into a jewelry store for women that caught my attention.

He saunters over to the counter to the right of the door, pretty much in his own mind. He hasn't recognized me yet. Or if he has, he hasn't made any note of it. I'd like to think he would have said hi though, seeing as we are on that level of knowing each other where it is kind of weird if you don't say hi.

I carefully approach him from the other side of the counter. "Hey, can I help you find anything?"

His head snaps up and it takes him a second to place my face in his mind. "Elisabeth, hi."

"Oh, hey!" I reply, feigning surprise as if I hadn't know it was him all along. I throw on a tilt of the head too to sell it. "What're you- what're you doing here?"

This is when I realize that I am tapping my own thigh.

Adam straightens up and clears his throat. "I'm looking for a ring. An, uh, an engagement ring."

Not to be dramatic or anything, but it feels like my heart plummets to the depths of the earth. I'm not a territorial human being or anything really, but I saw Adam first. I did. I might sound like a five-year-old calling dibs on the best stuffed animal, but it's true.

"Really?" I squeak. "Already?"

Adam chuckles a little and gives me a curious look. "Ashley and I have been dating for three years now."

As if that should justify proposing to my best friend.

"Well...that's great!" I chirp, sort of slapping the glass countertop. At loss for anything better to look at as a weird pause settles between us, my eyes flicker out the window of the jewelry store. The building on the other side of the road is covered in the shadow of my building, reminding me that evening is approaching and we should be closing soon. We being Magdalena and me. She is currently sleeping in the back room, being her usual sluggish self. "So, uh, what style are you looking for?"

Adam looks down at the rings displayed in the glass case. "Something pretty," he says and I can't help but snort at his choice of words.

"Well, yeah. Most people do look for that."