18. Hades Sets Me A Mini-Quest

Ahomana's POV

"WHY DO YOU want to know?" Dallas growled. It suddenly struck me that neither her nor Thysía knew my surname was Kahue.

"I was told a trio of demigods would try to barge their way downstairs." Charon said. He spoke with a British accent, but it was as if English was not his first language. "Only Mr. Kahue would be allowed through."

"Why?" Dallas demanded.

"Just my orders, missy." He raised his hands in surrender. He dropped them as he turned to me. "What's your name, boy?"

I clenched my teeth. "I'm Ahomana Kahue."

"Ah. Well, come this way. There's a spot left on my boat." He started to walk towards the elevator muttering something about money.

I started to follow him, but Dallas grabbed my arm.

"You can't go alone!" She gulped.

"Dallas-" I started.

"It's his time, Dallas." Thysía cut in. The fact that the story of his mother was a sacrifice made me realise why he was so good at understanding the concept.

"What?"

"The unclaimed hero will find the key, To eternal damnation from beneath will spill." He spoke the words of the prophecy that sent us across the continent in the first place, "Mana is the unclaimed hero. Let him go, it's his time."

The words shook me. For the first time I realised how serious this was. If we failed, Atlas would raze the camps. Everyone would be killed.

And it was riding on me to find this 'key.'

Dallas slowly let my arm go.

"Are you coming or not, demigod?" Charon called from the elevator, "I can't hold this door open forever."

I gave them one last look, before turning towards Charon and walking into the elevator.

Just as the doors closed I called, "Meet me at Mount Othrys!" And then they were gone. I could only hope they'd heard me.

The lift seemed to go downwards forever. Occasionally it would shudder and I'd resist the urge to grab the railing. Charon kept looking at me weirdly, and the spirits Keith walking through me and leaving me with vertigo.

I looked at the creepy boat driver again and almost helped out loud. The guy was no longer wearing his Italian suit. He was clad in a wispy looking cloak that randomly floated around. He turned to look at me and I couldn't stifle the noise again. His eyes were swirling pits of blackness and despair. His flesh was flickering so I could occasionally see his skull.

I shuddered and looked away. Only to realise that the elevator had been blurred out and replaced by an old fashioned timber boat.

I shivered again. This place was weird.

The boat kept going through misty black waters until we arrived at the mainland of the Underworld.

Charon pointed towards something standing over the spirits. I realised it was a huge three headed Rottweiler.

"Cerberus will alert the Furies of your presence, and they will escort you to Lord Hades."

"Thank you." I said, getting out of the boat.

"Don't thank me, kid. You're walking to your death." And then his boat faded into the black mist.

I swallowed and turned towards Cerberus.

•••

The Furies were repulsive. But of course I couldn't tell them that in their own home court. I'd probably be fried.

I was glad to be rid of their mutterings when they shoved me through some huge doors and shut them behind me.

I looked around and realised I was in Hades' throne room. I mean, the gis r black throne and the dark, scary looking guy at the end of the room was a dead giveaway.

I cautiously approached him. "Lord Hades?" I quickly knelt at his feet. The guy was in giant human form, probably around twelve feet tall.

"Ahomana Kahue." Hades boomed, "I have a special job for you."

"And, uh, what would that be?" I asked, then corrected myself, "Sir."

"Hmm. You have manners, boy. Unlike that upstart Perseus Jackson." Her seemed to say almost to himself. "You realise that if you fail your quest to stop Atlas both camps will be destroyed?"

"I do, sir." I decided being dubbed good mannered would help me somewhere.

"And you know of my son, Nico di Angelo?"

"I do, sir."

"Then you know that he will die if you do not defeat Atlas." Hades leaned down and looked over me, "And so I have decided to help you."

"Thank you my Lord." I gaped.

"But my help does not come without a price, boy." The way he called me boy was starting to annoy me.

"I understand sir."

"Too prove that you are worthy of my help, I have hidden my bident somewhere in the Underworld." He stated.

Why can't people just be Good Samaritans and help me with no death defying mini quests?

"Your bident, sir?" I frowned at the unfamiliar word.

"Like a trident, but with two prongs. It is one of my forgotten symbols of power." Hades explained. Then he changed tack. "Once you have recovered my bident, crush this underfoot, and you will be returned to the world of the living, along with my help." He reacted out and dropped something. I leaped to catch it. It was a mutt blue and white pearl. I'd heard the stories of how Percy Jackson had used these to get out of the Underworld once.

"Thank you for your time, Lord Hades, but if you don't mind me asking, what is your help?" I hoped he would vaporise me in the spot.

"You will see, boy. Now begone, before I change my mind."

I quickly stood and bowed, before rushing towards the doors. I stopped as I was about to slip through. I looked over my shoulder.

"Sir?"

"Speak, boy." I could tell he was starting to get mad. But for some reason I decided to keep going and ask my question anyway.

"Why me?"

A grim smile spear across the Lord of the dead' face. "You haven't followed in the footsteps of any god. You have forged your own path."

And then I left the room. I put all thoughts of Hades' statement behind me and thought, where would he hind his bident?

I guessed I should start looking.