4. I Get A Quest With Mr. Annoying and A Guy I Don't Know

Dallas' POV

CHIRON WAS THE coolest teacher (director, whatever), I'd ever met. He took me to the living room in the Big House and brought out cookies, and chucked one at the leopard head in the wall, which came to life and ate it.

I'll admit him going into a wheelchair was a bit odd tho.

"So, Chiron, I'm under the impression you don't usually get children of Titans around here." I began, munching on a cookie.

"It is a demigod camp after all." Chiron said, "But usually children of Titans are, well, gods. You can stay in the Apollo cabin while you're here."

I swallowed my mouthful and fingered the ring that was on a silver chain around my neck. It was the only valuable possession I owned. Well, it was the only thing I owned either way. But I'd had it as long as I could remember. It was platinum, and was twisted into different patterns, with gens stuffed into it. It had the word Greek word διάβολος written on the inside. Diávolos, meaning devil, like a play on my na e Diablo.

"The prophecy has started. You are the child of the ancient dawn from the shores of the monster sea. The monster sea being The Sea of Monsters, which is what mortals call the Bermuda Triangle. So, Miami." Chiron explained, "I sent three demigods to find you a week ago, after Apollo's appearance, and his hint that we might want to find a demigod in Miami. We'd know which one because the giantomachian dragon would wake for him or her."

I nodded. So that's why Mana was asking if I was the one who woke it.

"I recently went to mount Olympus to seek guidance and ask if the prophecy had started, but they told me my questions would be answered here. And they were. Hyperion's daughter." He went on, "I would have liked to see what a demigod Titan's child can do, but I fear Atlas has - did they explain that?"

I nodded again.

"But I fear Atlas has already gathered too many monsters for you to wait." Chiron sighed, "Also, the prophecy has stated one of the demigods you but take with you. The unclaimed hero. Ahomana hasn't been claimed, but he has been on numerous quests and saved Camp Half-Blood at least twice."

"Ahomana?" I yelped, then, more to myself, "Please not him, god."

Chiron gave me a sideways glance. "And a boy named Thysía. I would take him."

"Why?"

"I cannot answer that, but trust me and take him."

"So basically I have to lead a quest to save my dad and the camps, with an annoying Hawaiian and some guy I don't even know?"

"Basically. And you leave in the morning."

•••

It was awkward, to say the least. I had to personally find this Thysía guy (who names their son that?) and ask him to go on the quest with me.

And it was even more awkward when I actually saw him. Damn the boy was fine.

"Hey, Thysía?" I called. He was just getting off the lava climbing wall. He jumped at my voice.

He had dark brown hair, and dark eyes. He was tall and well muscled, and he had a lopsided sort of smile.

"Hey, Dallas right?" He said, walking over to me.

"Yeah. Hey um," I hesitated, "Chiron said I should bring you on my quest..."

Thysía blinked. "Wow. Um. I'll think about it." He scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

"Well, we leave in the morning." I all but sprinted away from him.

I let out a sigh of relief when u was out of his sight. But then I remembered I had to talk to Mana as well.

Great.

I trudged over to Cabin Eleven. Mana was just walking out, and I had to jog to catch him.

"Mana!" I called. He stopped and looked at me.

"Nani." He replied.

"Why do you keep calling me that?" I muttered, "Anyways, Chiron said-"

"That I'm part of the prophecy?" Mana sighed, and I swear I saw the tattoos on his neck shift across his skin, "Yeah I know."

"Oh." I blinked, "Well, since you know, we're leaving in the morning."

"Thanks." He turned to leave, and I grabbed his wrist.

"Hey um, can you point me in the direction of the Athena Cabin? I need a weapon." I asked sheepishly.

Mana pointed to a cabin and was gone by the time I looked back. It was a gray building with an owl carved over the doorway and plain white curtains. To the side of it was a metallic shed.

One of the Athena kids, a twelve year old girl named Lily, showed me around to the shed, which was in fact an armoury.

Lily, a perky little blonde with pigtails, gave me a running commentary on each weapon we passed.

"-the sword that Achilles used. That one there is called a makhaira, it's a cavalry sword. This one is a spartan spear, a-"

"What's this?" I asked, pointing to a bronze sword with a slightly curved blade and a weird handle.

"That's a kopis. It's more of a long range sword, mostly used for cavalry." She explained, "I wouldn't recommend close up fighting with it, so I don't think-"

"I'll take it."

"But-" I silenced her with a look, and picked up the kopis. I hefted it between my hands and made a couple of short swings with it, to see if it suited me. It did.

I smiled my thanks to Lily and left the shed.

The moon was well high in the sky, and I was stifling a yawn.

I decided it was time to claim a bed in the Apollo cabin.