10. I Break My Arm For The First Time

Thysía's POV

DALLAS ACTED AS if it had been as casual as walking down the street. And it infuriated me. She got the power to fly and evaporate the venti, and she doesn't even acknowledge it?

You might call me ungrateful. You might say I'm a spoiled brat. But how would you feel if everyone around you were demigods with amazing powers and you weren't even a proper half-blood? When your quest-mate got powers that were goddess level, and you were stuck with being able to shape shift into a deer?

Well, there's probably a lot of innocent angels out there thinking 'I'd be grateful for what I have. Deers are cool!' Well, I'm not an innocent little angel so I'm angry.

After the venti attack, Dallas used her flying to her advantage and lifted Ahomana back up to Chrysós's back, untying and shoving all of the bow unweaned ropes into our duffel bags. Then she fed the regal chestnut pegasus a tiny square of crushed ambrosia, and proceeded to wave us off.

"You'll go further if I'm not riding." She shrugged casually.

"So you're going to fly to Chicago?" Mana blinked.

"Yeah. It's nothing." She mumbled, before slapping Chrysós's behind and sending us shooting on our way.

We left her in the dust, but I soon saw her following us at a reasonable pace. Apparently this new 'running on light' thing made her faster as well.

Ahomana sat behind me, looking back the whole time.

It was obvious that the guy was falling for Dallas's annoyingly endearing nature. Or, that's probably what he thought of her. I'd personally leave out the endearing part.

"So Mana, tell me about how you woke up in that... situation." I laughed. I was only making conversation. And he'd think it was suspicious if I just didn't ask after waking him up this morning.

The thing is, I'd been awake when the two were talking. I'd reluctantly heard Dallas's backstory. It didn't change my opinion of her.

"It was nothing, we just talked." He said, embarrassed, "And we fell asleep."

"Sure, whatever you say." I chuckled.

"It is whatever I say, dumbass." He muttered in my ear.

I stayed silent, deciding that the conversation was closed.

And, as if we didn't already have enough trouble today, I looked forward, and saw a gigantic mass of black a grey cloud, flashing every so often with lightning. I could hear faint thunder. There was a long gap between the cloud we were flying over, and the storm ahead, so I could see that beneath the blackness was a sheet of rainfall so thick I couldn't see anything through or below it.

"Let's take a detour." I suggested.

Ahomana hesitated. Then said, "I had a dream."

I swore. Demigod dreams were usually very bad.

"Going around the storm would be a suicidal idea."

"Great!" I sighed, "Let's get electrocuted. That's not suicide at all."

"Well would you rather get caught by Atlas' minions?"

"I'm imagining those little tic tac shaped yellow things off Despicable Me but go on, explain your dream." I said humourlessly. Even though it wasn't a joke, Mana chuckled before replying. It took him a few minutes to recount all of the information.

"Oh fun." I muttered darkly as he finished.

"So yeah, we have to go through the storm."

"What about Dallas?"

"She'll have to catch up." Ahomana growled, and pointed, "Look."

There was a rather nasty looking monster flying around four hundred metres to our left. I couldn't see what it was, but it was obviously coming for us.

"But she have to fight it on her own." I murmured.

Mana didn't say anything. We both knew she could take that thing any day.

And so we flew into the storm.

•••

The rain hit us like a truck. Chrysós struggled in the air, flapping hard, but we persevered.

We flew through the beating torrential rain for probably around a half hour. Chrysós started shuddering around then. I would have pushed for more, because I was pretty sure we hadn't passed Michigan City yet. But Ahomana put his hand in my shoulder and told me to let Chrysós rest.

So I reluctantly leaned over and urged the pegasus downwards. He eagerly complied and took a plummeting dive without warning. Ahomana grabbed my shoulders instantly.

It didn't take us long to reach the ground. Chrysós took a bad hit had he missed a forested area and crash landed onto the edge tarmac of what looked like a huge harbour. The horse hit the ground with so much force his already exhausted legs crumpled and sent the two of us and our duffel bags flying.

I landed forearm first and I heard a sickening snap, before the rest of me smashed into the concrete. Pain shot up my arm and drowned out he stinging scrapes in various places all over my body.

I groaned loudly, nursing my arm. I didn't even have to look at it to know it was broken.

I shivered violently, still being beaten down by the unforgiving rain.

I heard Ahomana hiss in pain behind me, and I heard a long, mournful sigh from Chrysós that almost broke my heart.

"Mate - ambrosia." I managed.

"Right, are you okay - oh no, you're not." He sounded completely grossed out. But I couldn't care less. As long as he brought me the food of the gods that was probably soaked with rainwater.

I heard him scuffling around over the noise of the storm, then an almost thankful bicker from the winged chestnut stallion.

Then he crouched in front of me and cursed in Hawaiian, before feeding me a square of ambrosia. It tasted like my the blueberry pancakes my mom used to make every Sunday when I was little. My last good memories before my dad went crazy.

I felt the pain in my arm lessen to a jaw clenching throb. And then, without warning, Ahomana grabbed my firearm and put it back into place, fitting the bone back together so it wouldn't heal weirdly.

To say it was painful was an understatement. I yelled loud enough for Ahomana to wince, even over the sound of the downpour.

"More." I demanded.

"Nah sorry, we don't have any left." The dark, tattooed islander shrugged, "And you'd probably break a fever if I gave you any more anyway."

"None left?"

"Come on, we have to get out of the rain. Chrysós is in bad shape."