5. I Get Stuck With The Butt End Of Dallas' New Horse

Ahomana's POV

THE MORNING WAS stressful. I was forced carry basically everything just because I was 'bulky.' I also had no qualms about letting the whole world know.

"Come on nani, at least take something." I whined.

Dallas threw me an exasperated glare. "Would you stop calling me that?"

"If you stop calling me Ana." I bargained. But she didn't take the deal.

I refused to tell her the meaning of nani, that would probably embarrass me for life and make everything awkward.

The two of us were standing at the top of Half-Blood Hill, Thalia's tree shading us and the dragon keeping a watching eye, as if we were going to steal the Golden Fleece.

We were waiting for Thysía, who apparently forgot something and had to go back.

"I hate you, Hawaii boy." Dallas announced.

"Ok go back to Ana. Please." I begged. Hawaii boy? Really?

"Ok, Hawaii boy." She teased, "Nah, I don't like Hawaii boy. I need a better name."

"How about ka ʻoi aʻe." I grinned. It meant the best but she didn't have to know that.

"What does that mean?"

"It means - god, i oe lōʻihi lawa Thysía!" I broke off halfway through my sentence (i oe lōʻihi lawa, meaning 'took you long enough.'), seeing Thysía walking up the hill. The chestnut pegasus that I rode yesterday to take Dallas back to camp was trotting behind him.

Dallas shot me a glare out of the corner of her eye, like this isn't over, and turned to Thysía.

"Hey, uh, why'd you bring the pegasus?" She asked.

Thysía shrugged. "It wasn't my choice. He just sort of followed me when I went past the stables. His name's Chrysós by the way. I saw it on the name plaque."

"Chrysós?" Dallas said, almost to herself, "Gold in Greek? I guess you are pretty golden."

The pegasus bickered and ruffled his wings. I gaped as the winged horse trotted past Thysía and stopped in front of Dallas. He nuzzled her and she smiled.

"Great." I groaned, "Now Dallas has a horse-" the pegasus snorted at me, "-sorry, pegasus, and we get to walk."

"Don't be dumb." Dallas rolled her flashy golden eyes and looked at Chrysós. "Can you carry all three of us?"

He stamped his hoof and nickered at Dallas. I had no idea what the horse was saying, but Dallas seemed to understand.

"Okay guys Chrysós can fly us." She announced proudly, "But not far. Maybe an hour at most. Three people is heavy."

•••

And just my luck, I got stuck with the butt end of Chrysós, trying to stay on but trying not to look gay while hanging onto Thysía.

My own buttocks were aching by the time Chrysós had to land. How Dallas seemed disappointed that they had to stop flying, I will never know.

Chrysós made a rocky landing in the forest. When we descended below the clouds, all I could see was a green mass of forest going on forever.

"Never again!" I shouted as I was thrown into a bush after Chrysós stumbled as he stopped in a clearing, "I am never getting on a pegasus again as long as I live!"

"Hawaii boy, you'll have to get on Chrysós again when he's ready to take us for the next jump." Dallas pointed out as Thysía dismounted the flying chestnut horse.

"Ugh." I groaned. I hate horses.

"Ok well we need to set up camp for the night." Thysía cut in, "I'm not keen on sleeping with the bears and snakes but I've had worse."

"I am not helping with anything other than my bed." I announced, "I carried our stuff the whole way and Miss Golden Pony over here cut my ass in half."

"Fine, be lazy." Dallas muttered, then to Thysía she said, "Fire or no fire?"

"No fire." He said reluctantly, brushing a hand through his dark hair.

"No need for any extra trouble." Dallas agreed.

It took them about three minutes to roll out the three sleeping bags and get comfortable. I eyed the food bag greedily, but I knew I'd eaten less than three hours ago and we needed to preserve food.

"Ok so guys, what are we going to do here? We've got all day and I vote not going anywhere." Thysía sighed, "I don't feel like getting lost."

"First we need to figure out where we are." Dallas answered, "And my guess is Pennsylvania."

"We would have gone past the cities though." I commented, "So probably the state forest."

There was a sudden growl echoing through the forest. The three of us froze, and Chrysós looked like he was about to fly back home.

"Would this be a bad time to mention the cabin I saw as we landed?" Thysía asked awkwardly.

"Shut up!" Dallas and I hissed in unison. Thysía shut up.

The growl sounded again. It sounded deep, and heavy. It was definitely a big animal.

I picked up my spear and tightened my grip. It started to give off a faint silvery glow. I glanced at the others, noticing Thysía now had a bronze shield (where did that come from?) and he had drawn his xiphos, a foot soldier's short sword. Dallas had drawn a long, curved, bronze sword that could only be for cavalry. She had backed up and had a hand wound in Chrysós's mane.

"Let's go." I whispered loud enough for both of them to hear.

Despite Chrysós's long flight, the chestnut stallion looked ready to carry Dallas into a battle. Dallas used the mane to swing up onto his back, and instantly she looked more relaxed.

Thysía started walking forwards and Chrysós followed with Dallas. I turned back to the front and started to creep out of our clearing.

The growl rang out again, sending a shiver down my spine.

As we walked, I started to hear whispering. It was all around them. Almost like it came from the trees themselves.

We cautiously stepped into another clearing. Unfortunately the forest was so thick we couldn't see quite was was there until we were in open space.

I almost had a heart attack. Standing in the centre of the clearing was a huge, black, three headed bull dog that could only be -

"Cerberus."