Chapter Nineteen: Arrow Head

Começar do início

"Easier to be said then done" I point out, swiftly snatching a blade from Grayson's belt. "We don't know how many there could be." 

"Does it matter?" Peeta asks, taking the knife from me. He slyly throws the blade in the air and catches it without hurting himself. "You're a professional when it comes to weapons." I guess he is right. I never had a problem with dealing with foreign weapons. My main weapon choice is a bow and arrow... bow and arrow.. 

That's when I realize. I came to a sudden halt, threw off my backpack and wrenched it open, finding my bow and arrow Beetee made me. "Oh my god!" I exclaim, completely jaw dropped. "I forgot I brought this!" 

"Wh-What?" Both Peeta and Grayson turned around, looking startled. Peeta slaps his hand over his forehead and Grayson flashes a smug grin. "The bow and arrow you almost killed me with? You brought it?" 

"I...I guess so" I say, snatching the bow and arrow out of the bag. Johanna and Gale realize we aren't behind them and stride backwards up to us. 

"What now?" Johanna groans, crossing her arms over her chest. Her eyes narrow into tight slits when she notices my bow and arrow - a devious grin capturing her sharp features. "You brought it with you?" 

"I don't remember bringing it with me... But I guess I did, yeah" I say, pushing a few strands of hair behind my ear. 

"That's because you didn't" Peeta retorts, kneeling down beside me. He grabs a couple of fire arrows, observing their extreme tip. I give Peeta an odd look, not sure of what he was trying to point out. "You could thank me later" he says with a small smirk. I instantly grab him in a bear hug, squeezing his insides out. How could I have forgotten my bow? This whole journey I haven't even took thought in my main weapon. 

"Are you serious!?" Johanna exclaims, flailing her hands up in the air. "You could of used that to kill the eyeless people... Or murder those underground people who make those mutants!" 

"I forgot I put it in her bag" Peeta explains, slapping his forehead once more. 

"Nice going, dickwad" Johanna grumbles, kicking a couple of pebbles on the trail. "After all this time.." 

"I know, I know - " 

"This is perfect" I pitch in, standing up with my bow hanging on my arm. "It doesn't matter if I didn't have it before. We got through, right?" 

"I guess.." Johanna mumbles, walking around in small circles, looking bored. I'm still asking myself why I brought her here in the first place. She's a good tribute to our team, but her bitterness is beyond extreme. "Peeta, thank you" I say again, wrapping an arm around his waste. This trip will be going a whole lot smoother with my bow... But still, how did I even think about leaving it behind? No one even reminded me. 

"Test that baby out" Gale says all to excitedly, his eyes sparking with enthusiasm. What do I have to lose, right? Swinging the bow off my shoulder, I grab a regular arrow and place it in the thread of my bow, taking direct aim at a old picket fence on my left. I squint my eyes, keeping hold of the arrow for a few seconds before letting go, watching the arrow bounce off the thread and shoot like a bullet down the grassy lands. The arrow picks right into the center of the fence as if it were a target. Grayson and Gale wolf-whistled as Peeta applauded. Johanna suddenly cracked another devious smirk. 

"Hand me an axe and I'll have you all bowing down to me". 

Everyone burst out laughing, including myself. It's true... Johanna is a pro when it comes to axe's. That's how she won the Hunger Games herself. She played as a weakling... A person know one took notice in. When it came down to the final tributes, Johanna went all out and slashed everyone with her axe. If that's not clever, then I don't know what is.