Chapter 4 - Nicolas

I was now crouched over, my hands covering the right side of my head. It was throbbing, mostly in my right temple, my crown, forehead, and right cheekbone. There were booming footsteps coming up the stairs in a rushed manor.

"Noah, what did I tell you? Knock first!" Our father yelled. Anger was apparent in his stern voice.

"I'm sorry." Noah apologized as he looked at the carpet.

"Nicolas, are you okay?" My dad asked.

"I don't think so," I said. It started to throb again as my finger lightly touched the area.

I felt the door slightly hit my foot, I scooted back to let him open the door all the way. My dad was immediately next to me and looking at my injuries. He had moved my hands and slightly brushed his coarse fingers against the injury. I winced at the touch, Noah had opened the door with quite a bit of strength.

He looked from me and then to Noah. "No video games for the next three days."

"What?!" Noah stood there with his jaw almost hanging off and eyes wide open.

"You heard me, you know the rules in my house. Now go to your room and stay there. I'll talk to your mother about your idiocy when she gets home."

Noah frowned and stomped away into his bedroom just next to mine. The loud bang of his door reached our ears only seconds later.

An irritated look ran across my dad's face and he looked at the wall separating the two rooms. "Make that a week, want to make it two?" He yelled at the violet wall, his volume hurting my ears. There was no reply. He sighed and returned his attention back to me. "Today is just not your day, is it, sweetheart?"

"Nope, not at all..." I spoke before thinking about the earlier events with that weird kid. "There was this one rude guy at school who knocked me over too. I now have a nasty injury from him hitting me."

"I already knew that."

He already knew? "The school called you?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

"No, I can smell the blood. You should change the bandage." He spoke lowly, eyes moving to the door way. It was obvious his mind was drifting off somewhere else since his expression changed from worried to irritated.

First off, only people with super sensitive noses can "smell" blood. Him acting a bit different from me mentioning the kid was even stranger.

"Okay, I'll go take care of it. We have gauze in the bathroom, right?" I looked at my bandaged arm and began to slightly peel it off, seeing the scabby surface of my arm below it.

"Yes, it's on the middle shelf in the cabinet above."

"Thank you," I spoke as I reattached the bandage to my arm.

"You're welcome." He replied before standing up and leaving the room.

I got up off of the carpeted floor and made my way to the bathroom, every step making the throbbing in my head increase. I entered the blue tiled room and opened the white cabinet above; and just as he had said, there was the gauze on the middle shelf. I removed the bandages from my arm and examined it more closely. The injury looked worse than before, some parts of it had scabbed over while some areas were still fresh and bleeding. It didn't get any better either from the nurse's medical attention to it. Once done looking at it, I grabbed the gauze off of the shelf and began to rewrap my arm, finishing in just a moment or two.

I was glad there was no basketball game tomorrow, because there was no way I was playing with a damaged head and a torn up arm. Another relief was that Halloween was on Sunday. That holiday's date made the school schedule change, making there be no school on Monday. They thought it was just a hassle to try to get kids in school after the holiday, mostly because of the teenagers who stay up late watching horror movies or because of getting sick from too much candy.