14 - If It Doesn't Scare You, It's Not Worth It

***Well, I hope this will make up for how late it is. 

Lauren was certain Camila was pissed...enraged even.

And she couldn't blame her.

She had a string of apologies waiting for deployment hanging at the tip of her tongue, coupled by some desperate clarifications. And even if she wasn't sure she could withstand an iridescent flame of anger in those brown eyes or a snarl lifting one side of her upper lip, she flitted her gaze back to her wife only to find a ghost of a smile, amidst her cool exterior.

No, she wasn't expecting that.

She wouldn't have expected for Camila to be a covert agent, an expert at assuming a different identity either.

There were a multitude of things to Camila that Lauren didn't know of, things the detective wouldn't be inclined to share herself. Camila found it useless to define who she is for everyone's convenience or allow them even the briefest glimpse of her true emotions. Perhaps, it was to protect herself or to keep her parents from worrying. Sinu and Alejandro bore strong personalities; unyielding and steadfast despite it all, and as their first born, she'd be damned if she didn't replicate their character.

As far as everyone else was concerned, everything's fine.

Besides, those who genuinely care wouldn't need no such explanations. Dinah and Normani would be proud to claim they knew Camila well enough to see through the lies in her eyes and the pain in her grin. They could go as far as to say they could pick up on Camila's façade better than the detective's own family.

Because with them, Camila wasn't as careful – at least, not anymore.

Long moments of silence led Camila to emit the gentlest hum in acknowledgement that slammed against Lauren with astounding force, she had to take a subtle step back – minus the subtlety. Camila definitely noticed. It sounded more like the howl of the wolf, claiming the dead of night. And whether the detective was satisfied with the reaction or not, she never showed it; not even with a minute jerk of her left brow, which Dinah claimed had life of its own – the part of Camila that could betray her without her knowing.

Instead, she extended her hand as if to ask Lauren to lead the way, unnervingly stoic.

Pursing her lips, Lauren nodded and proceeded to leisurely saunter towards the dining room with her wife closely behind, sensing an intent gaze on her but she wouldn't dare look. And of course, she was right. Brown eyes were trained on her figure – raking every generous curve and slope and the creamy skin poking out of the cross back pattern of her dress and the long mane of brunette locks gracefully falling well below her bra line.

Camila couldn't help but wish Lauren gathered her glorious tresses in a ponytail. Then again, she didn't mind doing it herself either. She would gladly assist.

She may have been a little offended by the turn of events but it didn't mean she couldn't admire her wife's body.

It wouldn't have been crass to assume that she was too distracted to notice the elegant home boasting the finest materials and the most refined of designs, the furniture matching the clean lines and bold colors, whichever part of it Lauren was leading her to or the delectable aroma of a plethora of delectable food wafting in her nostrils.

However, she did notice the tension resting upon her wife's shoulders. It wasn't like she was looking anywhere else. But she knew the best solution to it; tenderly hold her from behind as her lips would ghost against the skin of Lauren's neck. She would breathe her scent in and finally, go in for the kill.

Camila was distracted and her body was defying, betraying her pigheaded mind.

And so, it would have been expected if her heart leaped and alerted the rest of her body when someone spoke a little too loudly. Camila's only consolation was the fact that she didn't leap in the air, spitting expletives while a hand clawed at her throbbing chest.