12 - What's Up, Doc?

"Morning, Lucky!"

A jarring voice drilled through Camila's eardrums, jolting her from her sleep. It rang in her ears and alerted her exhausted body. Her first instinct was to lift herself off the bed and subdue the intruder before they could flinch. Had it been anyone, Camila would have already been hovering above their body, a hand around their throat as the other disarmed them.

But Dinah Jane wasn't just anyone. Well, she learned after that one unfortunate time she tried to surprise her friend by jumping on her back. It reminded her of that nursery rhyme about little monkeys jumping on the bed.

She was the one that fell down and bumped her head first.

Camila came tumbling down only seconds later because well, Dinah had conveniently grabbed her foot.

Before Camila could even plant her hands on the mattress as a leverage, a body had already landed atop hers, strong arms holding her own locked to her sides. The abrupt movement pushed a fusion of a grunt and a huff past her dry mouth. Laying still, she was breathing hard amidst her hammering pulse. Somehow, her brain was jealous of her heart and began throbbing as well.

Apparently, there was a party in her body she wasn't invited to because all she was feeling was pain.

And while Dinah's voice was loud and clear, void of any trace of sleep, Camila's response was a string of grunts – three syllables, which she meant 'good morning.'

The intent was there.

Besides, she couldn't exactly breathe.

"I don't have to remind you to lock the door when you leave cause you already overdo it. But there's some Advil and some water on your bedside, I was going to make you some coffee but I know you want to sleep more." Dinah muttered with that knowing lilt. She was careful when she laid her head on Camila's back, between her shoulder blades after spending a handful of time tucking her hair in a bun. "Have fun at your mom's and don't forget to tell her I said hi. Call me when you get there. I gotta go."

"What time is it?" Camila retorted in a breathy mumble, keeping her eyes closed to chase sleep that may have slipped from her grasp as her heart continued to stir up a storm.

Sleeping at around three thirty while already sleep deprived wasn't the smartest, Camila knew that. But she was dealing with a repercussions like a champ – a beaten one.

"Five thirty." Dinah supplied and began peeling herself off her friend. She crawled up just enough to press kisses against the same patch of skin on Camila's cheek. "Don't lose your sanity. See you in two, three days. Love you."

"You, too."

Dinah would always wonder why her friend averted uttering the four-letter word but she was aware that her friend wasn't as expressive as them. She mentioned how much she loved Mandy on several occasions but it would only come when she was too frustrated to even feel any sort of inhibitions, defending what she had with her ex-girlfriend against Dinah and Normani, who weren't fans of the woman.

Camila's situation with Natalia was different. She was merely acting. But Dinah wouldn't know how comfortable Camila felt showering Lauren with sincere compliments and how it felt gratifying just to see the smile adorning her lips.

From the doorframe, Dinah shook her head at the rather hilarious scene before her. Camila was diagonally sprawled in her large bed, hands tucked under the pillow she laid her head on. A foot dangled off to one end while her bottom was sticking out atop the bunched duvet.

Camila barely moved in her sleep unless she was uncomfortable.

"Hey, Lucky." Dinah called from the doorframe. She was answered with a grunt, making her giggle in amusement. "I'm glad you're back."