Chapter 49: Showdown

Start from the beginning

"Sasuke," I called him with a soft voice as I brought my feet down onto the floor. He lifted his face up and stared at me with the aloof eyes of his. He said nothing and I took that as the opportunity to ensconce myself on the chair next to his bed. He fixed his distant eyes on me as if expecting me to say something. Not knowing what to say, I shyly questioned him, "Ho-how are you?"

He gazed at me for a good five second before he shifted his eyes back to his sheet and answered shortly, "I'm fine."

He started brooding over something that made him evidently seething. His arms trembled with unexpressed fury every now and then. He clenched his teeth tightly and a glower soon appeared on his face, making him look like a raging volcano that was ready to blow up.

I cast my eyes downward in melancholy. I cannot tell him the good news when he's this angry. It is downright insulting if I inform him the happy news while he is foaming at the mouth. And even if I tell him that, he won't congratulate me at all. I bet he will ignore me or jump down my throat instead. I'd rather not tell him about this than watching him ignore me. So right now, the best way to comfort him is by saying nothing and be there for him. Sometimes, silence can be the best medicine.

We sat there for two minutes in complete silence. Sasuke was emanating odious vibe into the air while I, on the other hand, was exuding a soothing aura. This went on until someone slid the door open. However, just before the door could fully open, a familiar, radiant voice that was enacted from the hallway broke the profound silence in the room, "Sakura-chan!"

My eyes widened. Naruto!

I stole a glance at Sasuke and was taken aback by the threatening look on his face. His face was much more ferocious than before. Terrifyingly ferocious, I must add.

The door was pushed open widely, displaying two figures that I knew so well – Naruto and Sakura. The pinkhead was carrying a seemingly heavy bag. The both of them was flabbergasted seeing me in the room, but they immediately put on a smile and Naruto greeted, "Oh, hey, Ayuda! Visiting Sasuke again, huh? Sakura-chan told me that you dropped by a lot. I didn't know that you care about your rival so much!"

I could feel my face turning red at his words. Oh no. Does he realize that I deeply care about Sasuke in a romantic way? No, I should tell him otherwise, or else he will spread the news to the whole village! I responded rather quickly, "Y-yeah, of course... I mean, he is still a f-f-friend...!"

"Huh?" Naruto blinked questioningly at me, obviously noticed that I stuttered.

Sakura smacked his head lightly, "Baka Naruto, you are making her nervous! Anyway, Ayuda."

She paused as she walked around Sasuke's bed and revealed the inside of the plastic bag to me. There were a lot of fresh apples in there that they nearly filled the bag. She whispered in my ear, "Does Sasuke like apple?"

I whispered back in return, "He prefer tomato the most when it comes to fruit."

"Eeeh?!" she shrieked in disappointment, "So I bought all of this for nothing?!"

I sweatdropped, "Well... he can still eat it."

Sakura heaved a disheartened sigh, "But still..."

My mouth twitched into a smile and I rose to my feet, pulling Sakura to take my seat. Feeling bewildered, she inquired me, "Where are you going?"

I replied, "I'm going to practice."

"Oh, training?!" blurted out Naruto in a very excited manner, "You are very hardworking, Ayuda! Alright! I am going to train after this! I will create a new, phenomenal technique and name it Uzumaki-"