Chapter 11: The Twelve Rookies Have Assembled

Continuation of last chapter

"Hey, Kaito! Why are you so shaky? Are you nervous?"

"Hah! W-why would I be nervous?!"

The rest of us exchanged glances and looked down on Kaito's legs. His legs were noticeably trembling and we all knew that he was deeply anxious about the Chuunin Exam. Of course, he told us not to worry about him. He also tried to mislead Team 7 to think that he was everything but scared and anxious. Naruto, a dense little boy, believed him that instant. Only Kazuki and I knew that Kaito was very, very edgy.

Team 5 and Team 7 were walking along the hallway and I spotted two doors a meter away from us. The doors were facing one another and there were signs hanging on the wall next to them. One door led to boys' bathroom and the other led to girls'. There are bathrooms on each floor of the Academy building for everyone's conveniences.

As we got closer to the doors (without the intention to enter it), a certain figure came out of the boys' washroom. My eyes widened in recognition. A boy with short red hair, kanji word for 'love' on his left forehead, tanuki-like black rings around his eyes, and a big gourd attached to his back. Yup, you guess it right. It's Gaara.

I stood less than a meter away from him as he walked out of the washroom without noticing us. My mouth curved into a dreamy smile. My face flushed and I involuntarily sighed as if I was staring at a very gorgeous object. He looks so handsome...

Unexpectedly, Gaara halted and turned his head to look at us. I instantly dropped my smile and acted all calm and cool. At this moment, all six of us had stopped walking. He had probably heard my dreamy sigh. His pupil-less green eyes lingered on Sasuke and me. My heart pounded loudly in my chest as we made eye contact.

Then another tall figure came out of the boys' washroom. It was Kankuro. He noticed us and gave me a black look before he walked to Gaara's side. Then the two of them left, probably heading to room [301].

"What's up with them...?" questioned Kazuki.

I sighed dreamily once again; my composure immediately faltered and I cooed, "I don't know..."

Since I was standing in front of the rest of Team 5 and Team 7, I could feel eyes were burning on my head. From the corner of my eye, I noticed a pair of onyx eyes was staring at me with an incredulous look. It was unmistakably Sasuke who stood next to me this whole time.

"You like him?" queried the ravenette.

"No!" I frantically waved my arms around; heat growing in my cheeks. By now they must be beyond an attractive rosiness. I glanced at the others and continued, "I just thought that he is cute..."

Sakura's jaw dropped in shock while Naruto began protesting, "Cute?! He has this murderous aura around him and that's not cute at all!"

"And he looks like a dangerous guy," Kaito added, his face displayed his concern for me, "It's as if he will eat you if he has the chance."

I averted my gaze, looking anywhere but them, "You guys judge him way too easily. He may look like a dangerous boy, but he probably had a rough past."

"We are the one who should say that to you," retorted Kazuki, "Just because he looks cute doesn't mean he is not dangerous. Don't judge him by his appearance."

Sasuke warned, "Just stay away from him."

I sighed, defeated, "Fine."

"Aww!" in a few seconds, I was glomped by Kaito; his cheek was pressed onto mine. I did not make any attempt to push him off because I had gotten used to his embrace. Yep, he did this to me and also Kazuki many times. I just stood there like a doll while he said, "Don't be mad, Ayuda-chan! We are just worried for your safety! And we don't want you to fall in love with the wrong person! That's all!"