Chapter 13: The Tenth Question

"Yoshi (All right)!" Ibiki's booming voice had shattered the thick silence that had transpired a few minutes ago. We who still remained in the classroom looked up from our papers and paid our full attentions to Ibiki. He declared, "I will now give the 10th question!"

Finally, the last problem. Took you long enough. Let's end this as quickly as possible so I can go home. I am getting tired sitting my butt here for hours. Small part of me doesn't want this moment to end though. I bet this will be the once in a lifetime thing that I get to sit close to Gaara. I have to admit that approaching someone who is clearly antisocial like him is too tough. He was exuding an aura like 'don't talk to me I'm not in the mood for that' type. Approaching Sasuke is easier. At least Sasuke is a little bit open towards me. Hmm... I wonder why...

"Yes, but before that," Ibiki said, "There is one thing I must say. There will be one special rule for this last question."

The door on the back of the room was pushed open, creating high-pitched noise as it opened wide, revealing Kankuro and the same chuunin who accompanied him to the washroom. Kankuro looked mildly surprised to see the atmosphere in the room. He knew that something had happened while he was gone.

Ibiki simply smiled smugly, "You're lucky. Your puppet show didn't have to go to a waste."

I could faintly discern the change in Kankuro's eyes upon hearing the examiner's words. His eyes hardened. His make-up face slowly glistened in nervous sweats. His lips pursed into a thin, straight line. He scowled silently at Ibiki and he did not move from his spot. I took a glance at Gaara to see his reaction. He had an obvious indifferent look on his cute face.

"Oh well, sit down," Ibiki said. Once Kankuro had taken his seat, the examiner took a step forward and announced, "I will now explain. This is... a hopeless rule."

I furrowed my eyebrows. A hopeless rule?

Ibiki continued, "First, you are all going to choose if you wish to take this tenth problem or not."

My eyes widened and my mouth was slightly ajar after registering his words into my head. A familiar voice penetrated my ears, "Choose? So what happens if we don't take the tenth problem?"

I was also asking the same question in my head. I shifted my gaze to the source of the voice. It was Temari, Gaara's teammate. I turned my attention back to the examiner who replied to her question, "If you choose not to take it, your points will be reduced to zero. In other words, you will fail. Your two other teammates will fail along with you."

"Tch," I clicked my tongue, clearly disapproved at the answer we got. And clearly I was not the only one when some genins around the room also made fusses about the same thing.

"What's the meaning of that?"

"Of course we're going to choose to take it!"

"Teammates also failing is bull!"

I queried with slightly louder voice so Ibiki could hear me, "And what happens if we choose to take it?"

Ibiki answered solemnly, "If you choose to take it and answer it correctly, you may pass this exam. But if you get it wrong, you will... lose the privilege to take the Chuunin Exam forever!"

I clenched my fist angrily. That's when I noticed a hand rose in that instant and pointed an accusing finger at Ibiki. Kiba's voice came out angrily, "What kind of dumb rule is that?! There should be those here who have taken the Chuunin Exam in the past!"

"Woof woof!" Akamaru barked, seemingly agreed to what Kiba said. If Akamaru tried to sound as angry as his master sounded like, then he failed miserably. The bark he emitted actually made him looked cuter than before.