Chapter 22: One Step Closer

Recap:

Hayate glanced at us both, making sure that we were ready. Once he did, he declared, "Begin."

***

Third Person's P.O.V

As soon as that word escaped the judge's lips, Ayuda lifted her left arm above her left shoulder in a calm and composed demeanor. Yushin narrowed his eyes, surveying every movement she made cautiously. The girl's purple orbs were fixed on him as she clasped her fingers around the bow that was attached to her back this whole time. She brought her bow forward as her right hand went to take an arrow out of the quiver.

"I have never expected she would choose bow and arrow out of all weapons," remarked Chouji.

Ino replied, "It kinda fits her perfectly, though. She has unsurpassed accuracy among us all back in the Academy."

"But it's going to be troublesome," Shikamaru doubted, "Despite having a great accuracy, she cannot shoot properly at a moving object. It will grow even worse if her opponent is running at high-speed."

Sasuke Uchiha focused his full attention back to the black-haired girl. He had to agree with what Shikamaru just said. He had never seen Ayuda shot an arrow at a high-speed moving enemy. He began to contemplate Ayuda, 'If that Yushin Ito guy has nearly the speed of Rock Lee's, then she will not be able to shoot him accurately. He will take that as his advantage. So... if that happens, what are you going to do, Ayuda?'

"Well, aren't you going to make a move?" Yushin spoke up, "We can't stand here all day, right?"

Ayuda wore an unexpressive look as she answered, "An archer like me rarely makes the first move."

"Fine then," Yushin's right hand reached to take kunai out of his kunai holster, "I will make the first move."

With that said, Yushin threw three kunais at a time and he quickly followed the last kunai he threw, sprinting towards Ayuda with it. The girl brought the arrow – which she held in her right hand – to her mouth and bit on the tiny wood with her teeth. She removed her fingers from it and her now empty hand flew to the kunai holster, taking out three kunais as well. She threw them at Yushin's kunais as she leapt backward.

Her three kunais clanked with Yushin's ninja knives accurately, deflecting them completely. Despite that, Yushin proceeded to run towards Ayuda with his right hand gripping a kunai in an icepick grip. Ayuda also continued to leap away from him across the floor as she began to prepare her bow and arrow.

Knowing that Ayuda will shoot him, Yushin brought his kunai to the front of his chest, preparing himself to block her incoming arrow with the ninja knife.

The purple-eyed girl effortlessly shot an arrow at him in which he deflected with his kunai so easily. But that's when he became aware of another arrow that was flying towards him faster than the last one. Luckily for him, he acted faster and cut the arrow – which was 7 inches close to his left cheek – into half with his kunai. He was just about to curl his lips into a victorious smirk when he saw one that was already forming on Ayuda's face.

Unexpectedly, the arrow that was cut into half – and it was 5 inches close to Yushin's left ear – exploded on a huge scale with a thunderous noise. White smokes were covering a huge spot around him, causing everyone to not be able to see him.

Ayuda landed three meters away from him and waited for the smokes to lessen with a straight face. Naruto, whose mouth wide agape with surprise, asked curiously to anyone near him, "Why? Why did that arrow explode? Is it one of her skills?"