Chapter 31: The Final Exam

[The day of the Third Exam...]

Ayuda's P.O.V

I couldn't hold back the shakiness on my legs. I had to stand on my feet with these trembling limbs and I bet a lot of people could patently see that I was being restless. I couldn't blame my legs or my body system, though. I had been quite apprehensive ever since last night up until now. And why you ask?

Because the Third Exam of the Chuunin Selection Exam will begin and end today!

I made it to the stadium twenty minutes ago and I was now standing in the middle of the big arena along with the other competitors (minus Sasuke and Naruto) and a tall, older guy named Genma Shiranui who had a senbon in his mouth. Doesn't it dangerous to put a senbon in between your lips? What if he accidentally swallows it?

The sounds that had been incessantly rolling into my ears for quite a while now were the mixed shouts of the ebullient crowd that had packed most of the seats in the audiences' areas.

"Oi, oi," I heard Shikamaru Nara – who was located beside Kaito who stood on my right side – spoke up with low volume while tracing his eyes over all participants, "We're missing two people here."

Kaito said in response while directing his green eyes to the lazy yet genius boy, "Yeah. Naruto and Sasuke still haven't arrived yet. I thought they would be the first ones to come here."

Shikamaru was of the same opinion, "I thought the same thing too."

Yeah... those two were so eager to join the Chuunin Exam and are clearly elated to know that they made it to the Third Exam... so why aren't they here yet? Do they not worry that they will be disqualified from the exam due to not being present here in time? Or... do they have some kind of troubles coming here?

Out of the blue, I heard a loud noise of heavy object plunging and scraping the ground roughly along with a boy's scream that was cut short. The noise was coming directly from behind me. And it seemed like I was not the only one hearing that because every competitor and the Genma Shiranui guy spun around and looked at the source of the sound. I followed suit.

Lying flat on the ground behind us was Naruto Uzumaki. His stomach and his chin dug vaguely in the ground. It was beyond question that he was in a rush to get to the stadium, but also encountered a comical trouble on his way here. That is Naruto Uzumaki for you...

Kaito hastened to help the lightheaded Naruto on his feet. He put Naruto's right arm around his neck and pulled him off the ground. My big-hearted teammate asked, "Are you okay, Naruto?"

The yellow-haired boy's eyes popped wide open in an instant. He scanned the whole arena and vociferated, "Everyone, run! The entire village's bulls... The bulls are going to go after everyone!"

Shikamaru dragged his hand to his hip and, with a lazy expression masking his face, queried, "Huh? What are you talking about?"

The ball of sunshine turned to Shikamaru, "I'm serious! They were so many of them!"

The rest of the Third Exam's contestants regarded him with silence and with different kind of stares, well, except for Gaara who turned his attention back to Genma. I was about to do the same thing when Naruto inquired in plain confusion, "Huh? Where is Sasuke?"

"Well, just like how you see it now, he still hasn't arrived yet," added Kaito.

"Hey, you three," Genma Shiranui coolly called them, "Stop walking around. Stand up straight and show your faces to the crowd."

His words brought me back to realization of the current situation that I had involved myself with. I tilted my head up as I traced my gaze over the crowd. It took me more than ten seconds to spot my parents and Reina (mother and father took seats next to each other while Reina in another location), Kazuki who seated himself next to Sakura, Ino who took the seat on the other side of the pinkette, and also Shiori who stood in the back of the audiences with her arms crossed over her chest. My blonde-haired teammate sent me a 'good luck' look to which I responded with a sincere smile.