Chapter 42: The Promise

[The next day...]

Ayuda's P.O.V

I was strolling down the streets of Konoha aimlessly when something sparkly entered my vision. I briskly halted and, with eyes shimmering with enthusiasm, strode closer to a jewelry shop's window.

An elegant necklace was displayed in all its glory on the other side of the window. I have never seen anyone wearing such beautiful necklace and I would be very proud to be the first ones to wear it in Konoha. Being the spoiled, wealthy girl I was, I had an almost irresistible urge to snatch it and put it around my neck right then and there. I darted my eyes to the price tag beside it. There were 'Limited Edition' words embedded on the tag and beneath it was the price. My eyes popped wide open as soon as I registered its number. It's not exactly pricey; in fact, it was cheaper than I thought, but...

I didn't bring enough money with me at that time so of course, I couldn't buy it right away. I let out a disgruntled sigh. I guess I have to buy it the next few days... if it's still available, though. I know I could go home right now and borrow money from my parents and then return here and buy the necklace, but I couldn't do that today because...

"Oi."

Flabbergasted by how close the voice was to my right ear, I whipped around in alert and stared open-mouthed at the owner of the said voice. It was Sasuke, of course. I figured out it was him even before I spun around because his alluring voice was so plainly different than everyone else's voice. It's something that can only be heard from him and only him. His voice was one of a kind.

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and cast his eyes to the jewelry shop behind me, "What were you staring at?"

I gave a nonchalant shrug, "It's nothing."

"Were you staring on that necklace?" he shifted his gaze in the direction of the necklace I was admiring at.

I breathed out a dispirited sigh and answered truthfully, "Yeah, but I don't have enough money with me right now so I just let it go."

Sasuke brought his eyes from the necklace to me, "That thing is at a massive discount. Why don't you go back home and get the required amount of money and return here right away?"

"Well, I can't buy it today... not now because..." I paused to heave another disappointed sigh, "...I have to get ready to leave the village tomorrow."

I shot my eyes to his face, wondering what his reaction would be. His face remained indifferent but his eyes were gleaming with mild shock and interest, and then he quizzed, "Where to?"

I elucidated, "My father, the head of the Makino family, has arranged a meeting with someone important at a small village that is located not far from here. He asked Reina to go there as his substitute since he has something to do here and told me to tag along. I'm supposed to pack things now, but I just want to stroll around the streets for a while before I depart tomorrow."

The boy before me shoved his hands into his pockets. I've read a book about body language before and in the book it revealed that if one person does this action, then it means that the said person has something he/she keeps a secret about. Just as I began pondering on what it was that Sasuke didn't want to tell me, the same boy parted his mouth to inquire me, "When will you return then?"

I directed my purple orbs skyward, displaying my way of searching the answer in my head, "Hmm... probably tomorrow, if everything goes well."

"So it's just you and Reina?" he queried, "Are there any bodyguard to protect you on your journey?"

I chuckled, slightly amused, "Yes and no. We don't need bodyguards because we are strong enough to protect ourselves, especially Reina. She's stronger than you expect. This is not the first time we ventured out to attend a meeting outside the village, so it will be fine."