Chapter 16

Alice-

  I jump out of bed, covering my hand over my mouth to escape the growing black fumes. Tears sting my eyes and I fight to see in front of me as I stagger through my room and reach for my door. I guess I wasn't thinking straight because I grabbed the metal door knob and got the worst burn of my life, a high pitched yelp escapes my mouth.

  I lift up my leg and kick the door down with all the strength I can muster, which is not much due to the toxic fumes entering my body like poison gas.

  I stagger down the stairs, hacking up a storm. I don't dare try to let my wings out, for they could easily burn to a crisp. A take it easy on my way down the spiraling stair case, but gasp in horror as the last 7 steps crumble down right in front of me into a pit of yellow fire. I run back up the breaking stair case and fling myself into the bathroom, where there is a window I could escape out of and fly to the woods.

  I unlatch the small window in my large bathroom and push up with all my might, but the flames have caressed the window with heat so intense it has melted the plastic down, causing the window to jam. I can't get out this way.

  I spin around and gasp, the door has caved in and flames begin to creep in, suffocating me with heat and black smoke. I crumple down on the floor, using my warm shirt to cover my face. I'm going to die. This is it..I didn't even get to stop the war....I didn't even get to say good bye to my friends.

  "Alice!!!!!" A shrill, small voice screams my name. It's from down stairs! I know who it is...

  "Sky!!!!!," I cry out, My voice cracking and low. I jump up and gasp, I have to.... I have to use my wings. I can't die!! Not like this! I feel my wings sprout out behind me and let the tears stream down my eyes as the heat slowly burns the feathers. I take a deep breath and fly through the caving, fire coated door way...but before I can make it out, I feel the door way fall....and the flames grow higher and wider....and then I can't breath, and I can feel my flesh slowly sizzling to nothing as my life flashes before my eyes....I can't...Die...Not like..I...

I am dead.