Epilogue

Epilogue

Chiharu's POV

21st January 2012

I hold Kou in my arms, rocking her gently and hoping she finally falls asleep. Her brown eyes refuse to close and she carries on staring up at me happily.

There's a knock at the door and my head snaps up. The door handle turns and Hana steps into the room. Her eyes are watery and her skin is pale. She's clearly still grieving the loss of her best friend.

"Uh... I wanted to let you know that Kira-uh... Light is dead." Her voice is timid and quiet. Her eyes avoid my gaze.

My heart seems to stop for a second.

I knew this was going to happen. It still doesn't make it hurt any less. My eyes drop onto Kou's face.

I pull her closer to me.

"Thank you for letting me know." I say quietly. Hana leaves wordlessly, and all I hear is the click of the door and the lock twisting into place.

I'm not disturbed for several hours.

Just as I put Kou to bed for the night, the door opens. I turn around quickly, not expecting someone to enter the room. My hand flies up to my chest.

"It's just me. How are you?" Katsumi asks me calmly. His eyes are scanning my face, looking for something. I let my hand fall to my side.

"Uh... I'm a little bit shocked. I'm not sure..." My heart begins to hurt and I bury my face in my hands. The sobs I have been holding back take over my body. Arms wrap around me and I lean against Katsumi. I carry on crying for several minutes. When the tears subside, I finally begin to talk. "What am I going to do? I have nowhere to go. No one to help me look after Kou."

Katsumi's arms tighten around me. "You'll be getting all of Kira's money, I'll make sure of it. I'll help you find somewhere new to live, and I'll look after both you and Kou. I promise. You were pulled into this mess unfairly and I owe everything to you. You're the reason why we won." His chin rests on top of my head.

We stand there in silence for a few minutes. Katsumi pulls away slowly, and brushes my hair away from my forehead. He presses his lips to my forehead gently, before standing back.

"I'm going to go back downstairs and discuss things with Aki and Hana. We'll be taking you home tomorrow morning. I'm sorry for everything." He leaves the room after that, the door clicking shut. The absence of the lock going into place is louder than the door shutting.

***

As promised, I receive all of Kira's money. Kira's company is shut down, and I'm moved into a new apartment with Kou. The AKO take over Kira's position, and promise to investigate all crimes properly before killing anyone.

It was like my whole life was some sort of twisted nightmare and I've only just woken up. I much prefer how everything is now. I'm never alone, since I have Kou and Katsumi. Hajime is dead and he can't abuse me anymore. I'm not being used by someone like Kira.

Everything is right.

A/N: So that's it! That was the final chapter for this story. 

I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you leave a comment and vote. 

I'm not satisfied with how this ended, I don't know why. I originally planned to show what everyone ends up doing. That Katsumi and Chiharu end up together, and so do Aki and Hana. But that's cliché and almost everything ends like that. So, I left it where I did. You can decide for yourself what happens to the characters after the end. I was also tempted to write out Cecilia's funeral, but I'm probably the only person that cared about her XD 

It was weird writing a Death Note fanfiction with a cast that's mainly original characters. It was fun, I hope you had fun reading it. 

Thank you so much for reading this story. Thank you for all the comments and votes. Thank you for being so patient when I'd disappear for months without updating. Thank you for sticking with this story until the very end. Thank you for everything. 

I loved writing this story so much, I loved the characters I had created. Cecilia and Hana are my favourite characters, and I'm still a little heartbroken that I killed Cecilia off. I know a lot of people didn't like her, but I liked her bluntness. Maybe it's because I based her off of Uo from Fruits Basket. 

Thank you again, 

Alice. 

P.S - does anyone want a My Friend is Kira re-write? I know it hasn't been updated in forever and it's currently unfinished because I messed up. If people would want to read a re-write of it I'd be happy to do it. I'll probably write it alongside 'Don't Forget Me'.