Chapter Eight - Chiharu

A/N: I have returned :D I'm sorry for the delay. Life is being really shit for me at the moment. I'm just writing as an escape at the moment, so I apologise if it's awful. 

2nd April 2011

Kira's apartment sits right at the top of his large building. I don't know why, but I was expecting him to live elsewhere. I guess it's safer for him to live here, I don't know why though.

"This is the living room," Light says as I follow him into the apartment. "You can leave your shoes here." He points to a shelf that's already half-full of his shoes. I slip my trainers off my feet and place them in an empty spot. I then walk out of the little hallway and further into the room and notice how bright it is. The windows on the far wall are large and allow a lot of sunlight to enter the room. I can see other large buildings in Tokyo, as well as far out into the distance. The walls are painted a very pale cream colour, which only makes the room feel larger and brighter. On the right wall is a single door which is open, the wall and floor I can see are tiled, which leads me to assume it's the kitchen. On the opposite side are two doors, each on opposite ends of the room. I turn around and see another door in the hallway next to the front door. That's probably the bathroom and the other two rooms are the bedroom and office – or spare bedroom.

There is a single leather sofa, which takes up most of the room. In front of it is a white coffee table and a large TV is mounted to the wall. The coffee table is empty, except for a TV remote and a loose landline phone which still needs to be returned to its place. There's a bookshelf next to the empty space next to the TV which holds a collection of DVDs. There's another bookshelf next to the door that leads to the kitchen that's full of books.

I follow Light to the kitchen, my footsteps silent against the carpeted floor. I look around the room to see a small dining table pushed up against the wall closest to the door, the remaining walls are lined by counters, a fridge, oven and a large bin. A microwave sits on one of the counters. Cupboards sit underneath most counters, except for the one containing the dishwasher, and cupboards line the walls above where there's space.

The colour scheme for this room is grey, and there isn't a window in sight.

Light continues to show me the other rooms, my guess is correct with the bathroom being next to the front door (though another is joined to the bedroom), and the room next to the bedroom is an office and spare room.

"It's very nice." I compliment quietly. Light's brown eyes flick to me and away.

"I have to get back to work, feel free to unpack your belongings. I've made some space for you." Light says after a few seconds. He leaves me on my own in the apartment and I continue to look around in awe. This apartment is so much nicer than the one I lived in with Hajime. Then again, Light is Kira. Of course he'd live somewhere nice.

I slowly unpack all of my things, and once I'm done I collapse onto the leather sofa and stare up at the ceiling.

This can't be real.

***

10th April 2011

Days pass uneventfully. It's the same routine every day: Light wakes up early, leaving me alone to do whatever I want. If I want to go out I have to let someone know. No one knows that I'm Kira's goddess, so I'm fine for the time being. Light normally returns late in the evening, we chat a little and watch TV before going to bed.

I've left the buildings a few times to go shopping. Light has been generous enough to let me have a monthly allowance which I can spend on whatever I want.

I'm currently laying on the sofa with a book in my hands. I stare at the page, not really taking any of the words in. I let out a sigh and snap it shut before glancing over at the clock on the wall.

Light should be home soon.

I dump the book on the coffee table before exiting the living room and entering the kitchen. I scan the contents of the cupboards and pull out some rice. I then continue looking for more food to make a meal with. I think it's time I went to a book shop and bought some recipe books.

I stand on my tip-toes as I reach for some spices that sit on the top shelf. The doorbell rings and I let out a sigh, before walking towards the front door.

I walk cautiously towards it. No one rings the doorbell, most people go to the main reception desk and they deal with all the post, which always gets sent to Light's office. Everyone else is dealt with by the receptionist, and if they're important enough then Light will speak to them. They never come up here to our apartment.

I open the door and look through the gap. Standing in front of the door is Hajime. My eyes widen and I step back in shock.

"H-Hajime?" I gasp. I jump back in surprise when the door is thrown wide open. I clutch at the sleeves of my lilac top in fright. A smirk spreads across Hajime's face when he sees me and he grabs my arm. "N-no!" I try to yank my arm free, but it's no use. "Let me go!" I dig my feet into the ground, hoping it would stop Hajime from dragging me away.

"Shut up, I'm rescuing you, you ungrateful woman." He snaps bitterly at me. He glances at me over his shoulder and his cold eyes meet mine.

"I-I don't want to be rescued!" I retort, my voice trembling. I try to tug my arm back again.

"I don't care." He snaps back in return. He drags me to the stairs and we begin our descent. I stumble on the steps and grab onto the rail to keep my balance.

"Hajime! Slow down, I'm gonna fall!" I cry out as I stumble again. He doesn't listen to me.

"We have no time to waste." He barks back.

My vision becomes blurry and I resist the urge to wipe my tears away. I'm being taken from the place where I belong. A place where I'm free.

"Kira'll-" I begin when we reach the bottom. My breath is coming out in short pants. Hajime slows down considerably. "Hajime?" I ask and he drops to the ground. My eyes widen and I take a step back. What's going on? Did Kira get him?

I look around the empty hallway. There's not a person in sight. I look at the ceiling and see a camera. Of course. CCTV cameras are littered around this place.

Hajime's dead.