Chapter Sixty-Four

Sitting in a fixed up barn on a hot and humid August night, Meredith took another sip of her beer. Nothing made it better. Music played and fans blew in the barn, yet it was too damn hot for her. Chloe sat next to her, not bothered whatsoever. Both of them focused on the bride and groom of the wedding. Rachel danced with her husband, Joe.

"Ah love," Meredith sighed. "It's disgusting, isn't it?"

Chloe laughed beside her. "Do you say that to Harry?"

"Yep." Meredith took another sip of the drink. She hated beer so much, but Meredith needed something to get through a wedding. There was too much commitment. It made her scared for her future, like Harry might try to put a ring on her. It was the ultimate goal, and she loved him. The fear came in that she might be stuck or something might change after they got married. Meredith always needed a way out.

"I love Rachel's dress."

Meredith had to agree.

"She just looks so happy," Chloe cooed. "That could be you."

"I'm going to push you off a cliff if you don't shut up," Meredith grumbled.

Chloe wasn't even shocked or fearful. Sitting back, she wore a smirk of victory, knowing she got under Meredith's skin.

As the reception passed, Rachel danced more and more with people. While Chloe and Meredith danced on the outskirts, enjoying themselves, Meredith was scared of the almost looming marriage between Harry and her. They had talked about it, but Rachel getting married made it real. Rachel was twenty-one, and Meredith was twenty of two months. She was graduating soonish. What if she left university just get married? For Rachel, she wanted a life like that, but with Meredith, she almost wanted to vomit.

"I think I need to sit down." Not waiting for Chloe, Meredith sat at one of the tables.

"Had too much to drink?" Chloe asked.

Meredith ran her fingers through her hair. "Yeah, that's it," she lied.

Eyes on Rachel, Meredith watched Rachel's husband spin her around and around. Rachel was on cloud nine, never ending in laughter. She radiated beauty and happiness. Rachel had been the kind one out of the group. She deserved happiness. She deserved to have the life she wanted. She deserved to not be judged for marrying at a young age. While it wasn't a big deal around here, in Meredith's life, it was odd.

When the music came to a slow stop, it allowed the males to get a breather. Rachel stepped up onto a platform and women crowded around her, getting closer and closer. Flashes of London came to Meredith's mind, but she shook them out.

"Mer! Chloe! Come on!" Rachel's yelled at her friends. "We're throwing the bouquet!"

"We don't want to disappoint the bride," Meredith sighed and stood.

"We're already a disappointment. What's another person?" Chloe asked.

Meredith and Chloe brought up the end, standing five feet away from the last woman. The point of this game, whichever single woman caught the bouquet was the next to be wed. That was a need or want for Meredith or Chloe. Standing in the back with their arms crossed, they waited as Rachel's psyched out the single ladies waiting. Every time she did it, the ladies got just a bit closer, like Rachel didn't know how to throw.

"I don't want to do this," Meredith mumbled. "I'm not single."

"I think the point is not to be married, so there's hope for you yet."

Meredith couldn't help but watch the ladies, like chickens pecking at the ground for food. Checking her watch, the dancing was fun and the night was to carry on a bit longer, but the sooner Meredith sat back down, the better.