Chapter Sixty-One

The curtains remained closed at all times at Kensington Palace. The thin, white cloth allowed no one to see in, but it was just glimpses outside. Meredith didn't like it. Outside, it was sunny morning in London, but it wasn't proved. Harry's flat was masked in shadows.

"Mere?" Harry called, coming downstairs. When his blue eyes found her by the wind, he swallowed and looked away. "I got a call and I need to go handle something."

"What's wrong?"

"It's about the Invictus Games. It should only take a few hours. Bill will be coming with me." Harry fixed his sweater. "There's telly and food-- and you didn't get much sleep last night, so...."

Meredith knew she didn't get much sleep last night. It was many things all wined up in her head. She had only a few days left with Harry. London was the last stop. Also, since coming back to London, Meredith was painfully aware of how Kensington Palace felt like a prison. On the plane ride back, Bill had gone through all procedures about leaving the palace and how she should act. Many paparazzi waited for the return Prince Harry and girlfriend, Meredith Rogue. Bill cautioned against giving the media what they wanted.

"Will you be okay for a few hours?" Harry asked.

Meredith smiled at him. "Of course."

Sighing, he walked over and gave her a hug. Meredith planted her head on his shoulder, arms wrapping around him. "I have a late birthday present for you tonight." He kissed the top of her head.

"You really didn't have to."

"It's not every day that you turn twenty."

Meredith rolled her eyes and pulled back. "That was two months ago, and I really don't need a present."

"Well, it might not be something you can take back to the U.S."

Meredith arched an eyebrow.

Harry winked and called, "Good bye." Bodyguard Bill waited by the door and gave Meredith a knowing look, before following His Royal Highness out of flat. His face said stay, which Meredith promptly ignored.

Going upstairs, Meredith changed into fresh clothes, grabbed her purse and left Harry's flat. She knew the way in and she knew the way out. The armed guards glanced at her, but with no real orders to keep her in, she was free to come and go as she pleased. Meredith didn't know she was going, but she just walked.

Soon enough, she hopped onto the nearest tube stop she found. Meredith stood on the tube as it rumbled through the stone and concrete walls. Other passengers held the same grim and tired looks. Her face reflected off the glass as Meredith kept her back to everyone else. Yet, Meredith knew this wasn't how she wanted to be remembered. Meredith sat down and stared across at the empty space.

A camera clicked. Meredith didn't flinch.

Changing onto the Piccadilly line, she sat down and another camera clicked. At least Meredith smiled this time. Getting off at Piccadilly Circus, she was surrounded by lights and people. The sun shined down, and it actually made the people of London smiley. Double-decker red buses rolled past, and hundreds of people strolled past. Meredith joined the crowds and headed toward Trafalgar Square.

Along the way, Meredith stopped in a little pastry shoppe, eating as she walked.

Trafalgar Square opened up, and she crossed the busy intersection to the other side. Meredith wasn't much of an art person, but she thought she might as well try. Entering, it was mostly silent. Voices hummed. Her shoes squeaked on the floor. Meredith tried to walk lightly. Even staring at the photos, she wasn't sure what to do with them.

The sign pointed to royal portraits, but Meredith steered herself away.

Heading back into the sun, Meredith headed to Charing Cross and took the Bakerloo line to Oxford Cross. She didn't want to spend money, and as she glanced into the windows of Oxford Street, Meredith almost vomited at the prices she saw. Some people called her cheap, but Meredith liked to refer to herself as frugal. Over a million and half people walked Oxford Street each day, and Meredith chose not to be one.

Dipping off Oxford Street, Meredith marched past the Marble Arch and the U.S. embassy, heading into the quiet Hyde Park, which separated Kensington Palace from a lot of the hectic London. Other people walked through the park, but none glanced at her. With so many flowers in bloom, it was hard to look at another passerby.

Sitting down on a bench by The Serpentine pond, Meredith relaxed and pulled out another pastry she bought and her book. There was yet another pastry she bought for Harry, and she quickly closed her purse up before a duck, goose, swan, pigeon or seagull tried to snatch it. Meredith ate silently, glancing at the sparkly water.

As she read, Meredith heard people come and go behind her, pulling her out of the book. Automatically she glanced back, thinking someone took a picture of her. However, everyone kept walking. Meredith put her eyes back to the page and read.

Not realizing how long she stayed, Harry sat down beside her. She jumped. "How the hell?" she spat.

"Bill tracked your mobile," Harry said.

She rolled her eyes; what did she suspect? "How was your thing?"

Harry laughed. "Good. Interesting. We worked and got some stuff done." His blue eyes glanced around. "No paparazzi, somehow."

"Pictures were taken of me today," Meredith admitted, but she didn't have a problem with it. She tested the waters to see if he did. "Yet, no paparazzi. It surprised me too, but I think I'll choose not to question it."

He agreed on that. "How was your day? What did you do?"

"Mostly wandered. Oh." Meredith handed the pastry to him. "It's really good."

Harry took a bite. "Where did you get it?"

"Um...." Meredith paused. "I've been so many places today, so one of those places. Somewhere along the way. I know it isn't poisoned, so we're good."

Laughing, Harry took another bite.

Meredith glanced around to her right, and Bodyguard Bill watched them. Anger flared in his eyes. "I guess he didn't like me sneaking off."

"Honestly, I think he's not going to like you if you keep doing this, Mere."

She shrugged. "I guess I should make him happy and go back?"

"Yes." Harry stood up and held his hand out. Meredith took it, and they walked hand and in hand back to the car.