Chapter Seventy-Five

Just stepping out of the car in Canal Park in Duluth, Minnesota, on the other side of the port, it was warmer. The wind wasn't as strong. It wasn't as snowy. The temperature even perked.

It was the first time Harry had Meredith drive, and she certainly did better than him. Her confidence level was through the roof when it came to her skills in the snow and wind too. She didn't even blink as she drove. The chill hit his bones, and Harry glanced back at Nevada Zebra, also known as Meredith's car. 

"Why Nevada Zebra?" Harry asked, catching up his girlfriend, sliding his gloved hand into hers.

"License plate." Squeezing his hand, Meredith led her boyfriend onto the pier, which led out to Lake Superior. The two lighthouses mirrored each other, and the concrete made a barrier. Large waves crashed against the thick walls. The lift bridge, lid up in all its glory,  shined in the night sky. The brightly lit walkway added some comfort.

Getting to the edge and touching the lighthouse, the sky cleared to reveal the full moon, which illuminated Lake Superior

Getting to the edge and touching the lighthouse, the sky cleared to reveal the full moon, which illuminated Lake Superior. The large lake turned into a large ocean, night or day, when the other side-- Canada-- couldn't be seen. Cargo ships sailed in, going through the rest of the Great Lakes, to get Lake Superior, coming into the ports of Duluth and Superior.

This early in the year, when ice was yet against the shore, no cargo ships came in.

Harry looked to his left, when the green light of the other lighthouse, like something out of The Great Gatsby. The green was an aiming light for the boat, and the red light, at the lighthouse where they stood, was a light that said you had gone too far.

 The green was an aiming light for the boat, and the red light, at the lighthouse where they stood, was a light that said you had gone too far

While the lake was a sight to behold, Meredith turned Harry back to shore. Up on the horizon as Duluth grew up the hill, tall beams of red pointed into the sky. It was these large beams that brought in the signals into Duluth and Superior. Nestled along the shore were many other lights of the lake walk and then the many stores that surround the lake. Up the hill, the Rose Garden shined in the distance.

From out here, it was all just one long string of lights across the shore, coming in as a blur.

Harry broke the silence, "Are you happy to see me, Mere?"

"No."

His eyes rested on her.

"I'm joking. Of course I'm happy to see you."

Meredith grabbed a hold of him and planted her lips on his. It lasted long, and he tasted like sugar. He always had a sweet tooth. Meredith caked lips of deep red lipstick was left on his lips, and she laughed when pulling back. Harry tried to clean himself up, but Meredith took over, cleaning his lips off with her glove and eventually her hands.

"Thank God it's dark," she said. "That's the best I can do."

"Do I look like I've been punched in the lips?"

"You look as if you've eaten red velvet cake, if that's any better."

Harry wrapped his arm around Meredith shoulders, needing the warmth. Unlike her, he wasn't used to the cold. Back in London, it was warm compared to here. Never again would he complain about the cold of London. Leaning over, Harry kissed Meredith temple.

"I could go for some ice cream right now," Meredith said.

"How about hot chocolate instead?" Harry asked.

"I'm afraid I have no toffee sauce for you."

"How will I survive?"

"Are you telling me that you're cold?"

"No." Harry acted tough. "The cold doesn't bother me."

Meredith rolled her eyes and led him down the steps, going back to the lift bridge. The closer they became to the bridge, the warmer it became. "Before we go," Meredith kept Harry close, and she led him under the bridge.

It was just grates on the bridge, and people walked under it easily. When a cargo ship came in, the bridge lifted up and came back down. Meredith stationed him and told him to look up, which he did. The grates began to rattle, and Harry stiffened. All the sudden a car rolled over him-- well, on the grates above him.

"Shite!" Yet he didn't move. Another car rolled over the grates above him, and Harry smiled.

"I wouldn't open your mouth," Meredith warned.

Harry closed it but still looked up. His eyes lit up, like he was on a new amusement ride. The chill didn't bother him any longer. Adrenaline pumped through him. His body tingled at this new feeling. Just for a second, he looked to his girlfriend, who wasn't under the bridge. "Are you scared?"

She scoffed and joined him under the bridge, looking up. This was old news to her, when every time she came to Canal Park, she went under the bridge. The rumbled of the next car pumped through her veins, rocking her body. The sound of the tires on the metal grates was the most unusual zipping sound. Meredith had to remember for Harry to come back again, only so he saw the bridge in all its glory, when a cargo ship came through. Meredith was unsure when that might be. She had less than a year of university left.

When the quiet came after the cars had passed, Meredith squeezed his hand and led him back to Nevada Zebra. Unfortunately for her little German car, it didn't heat up quickly. By the time they got back to the University of Wisconsin- Superior, the car had finally warmed.

"Keep your head down," Meredith warned as she snuck Harry into her dormitory. His hood was pulled up.

Making it half way down the hall, one of the residents walked out of their room, but Meredith didn't let Harry stop walking for one moment. Unlocking room two-oh-five, Meredith pushed him, and the locked the door behind them. Harry stood in darkness until she slapped on a light.

The carpet was dark blue. Her two rugs were blue. Her pillows were blue. Her comforter was gray with blue flowers. Her mattress was blue. Her Christmas lights were blue.

"I thought your favorite color was green," Harry said.

Meredith rolled her eyes and took off her jacket and snow boots. "It is, but it is easier to match the carpet." She hung up his jacket and placed his bag in one of the closets. Walking over, Meredith hung onto him, warming up. "Remember, when you have to go the bathroom, wear a hat and keep your head down."

"I'm supposed to hide from your residents?"

"You're supposed to hide from everyone." Meredith kissed him on the lips. "Now, bed time. I have class tomorrow."